Unhappy with Umbilicoplasty Results, Can This Be Fixed? (photo)

I had umbilical hernia repair 3 months ago. It left my belly button looking rather odd. I decided to have an umbilicoplasty because I am about to compete in a contest in which my naval will be exposed. I am very upset because the results of the umbilicoplasty are really bad - it looks worse than before! If I need a revision, when can I have it? My competition is in a month and a half. :( Is there any hope for my belly button?

Umbilicoplasty in very thin women can be challenging

+1

A good umbilical repair with tummy tuck surgery relies on the presence of some 'depth' the the umbilical stalk. You are so fit and have such minimal amounts of sub-cutaneous fat that concealing the scar from umbilical repair can be challenging. I'm not certain a second revision of your umbilicus would make the situation any better.

Umbilicoplasty Improvement?

+1

It is difficult to tell without examining you if the umbilicoplasty result could be improved.  The scar from a revision is likely to be more noticeable in 6 weeks than the current appearance so I would not do it until afterwards if I were you.

Sacha Obaid, MD

Umbilicoplasty Revision

+1

I could only determine if I could help you after a physical exam.  I would have to determine the distance from the depth of the belly button to the fascia.  There may not be much room for improvement.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Worse after umbilicoplasty

+1

Based on your photo we would agree, your umbilicoplasty was not a sucess. We think you can do better, and a second opinion is the way to start. Wait until all the scar in the area is soft.

Umbilicoplasty

+1

Since you are quite fresh after your surgery, it's best to let six months elapse before considering doing anything.  It appears from your pictures that some skin was removed around the umbilicus, and there appears to be some swelling around the rim.

Recovery from surgery often requires patience.

As Dr. Rand points out, a very thin patient will simply not have an 'innie' the way that a collapsed umbilical floor would allow before the hernia was fixed.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Zero body fat and umbilicoplasty don't mix

+1

There really is nothing that will greatly improve your umbi unless you gain some weight.  With zero fat around an umbi, it will never have depth and three dimensionality.  I'd suggest leaving it alone.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS