Lump After Tummy Tuck and Liposuction?

I've had a Tummy Tuck and Liposuction on my hips two weeks ago. I have now found a lump in my back the size of a marble or slightly bigger. I can now feel it digging in my back as I lay down. Is this normal? What should I do?

Lump in hip and back after tummy tuck with liposuction

+1

This is probably a very small area of fat necrosis or hematoma that requires no treatment other than liposuction. To be sure, point this out to your surgeon for confirmation.

Lumps after tummy tuck and liposuction

+1

Tummy tucks are a very popular and effective way to contour the abdomen. In our practice, we include liposuction with every tummy tuck. We strongly feel that liposuction is important technique that allows us to contour your body and reach areas of the abdomen that we otherwise would not be able to get to with a tummy tuck alone. Patients who undergo this procedure must understand that there is a significant recovery process. Patients will experience swelling and bruising that can persist for up to 6 to 8 months. In our practice, we provide our patients with the two separate compression garments that specifically apply pressure evenly to the areas that have been treated and also provide support for the patient's comfort.

It is possible that the area you are feeling can be a small area of swelling, a small amount of bulging in the muscles, or your body's reaction to sutures or other materials that were used during surgery. Your best bet at this point is to be evaluated by a board-certified plastic surgeon who can examine you and determine what the cause of this mass may be. They will then be able to recommend a surgical procedure that can help eliminate this lump.

To learn more about tummy tucks, see photos, and help you decide which one is best for you, please visit us at the link below:

Pat Pazmino, MD

Lump after liposuction

+1

Feeling firm areas two weeks after surgery is fairly common. This may be scar tissue oredema or even fat necrosis.  Probably massage is the best answer, but you should check with your surgeon.

Massage and compression

+1

Massage, compression would be very helpfull in the early post operative phase. Most of these lumps will go away with time. If it gets bigger you will need to contact your surgeon.

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

Temporary lumps and bumps after lipo are normal

+1

Temporary lumps and bumps after lipo are normal. This can be due to localized swelling. The lumps often change in place and character from week to week. After about six months they will be gone. It helps to massage the areas to help dissipate the swelling.

David Shafer, MD

This should respond to massage.

+1

Hi!   You probably have a little fluid collection or some internal scar tissue.  I find that this responds quite well to lymphatic drainage massage twice a week as long as it is started early (right now).

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Lump under the skin after hip liposuction

+1

Dear Lisa,

I'm assuming the lump is somewhere in the region where liposuction was performed, or on the path from one of the access incisions toward that region. It sounds like you have a small subcutaneous hematoma (round blood clot under the skin). These can happen, and are more of a nuisance than a problem. Your body will resorb it with time, and it will disappear (on the order of several months). Show it to your surgeon at your next postoperative visit, but otherwise don't stress about it.

Michael A. Bogdan, MD, FACS