Upper Abdominal Swelling After Tummy Tuck

I had a full Abdominoplasty about 7 months ago. I still seem to have swelling in the upper abdominal area. From the navel down is actually flat, but above that it is still pretty puffy. What can I do about this? Thank you.

Persistent upper abdominal swelling after tummy tuck

+2

On rare occasions, I have seen the compression garments "gather" around your midsection causing a tourniquet like effect with swelling above this area similar to the swelling seen above a tight leg stocking

On other occasions, this swelling is actually localized fat and may best be treated with additional liposuction which is not advised at the initial surgical procedure due to concerns with vascualarity and healing.

Upper abdominal swelling after a tummy tuck

+2

Tummy tucks are a very popular and effective technique to contour the abdomen. During the surgery, we lift up your skin and fat layer and assess your muscles. If there is a separation of the muscles or some weakness, we commonly use sutured techniques to tighten the muscles and give you a smaller waist. There may be several causes for the bulging that you are seeing in your upper abdomen. It is possible that this bulging may be a small collection of fat. It is also possible that this bulging may be due to some of the sutures having come undone.

Your best bet is to be evaluated by a board-certified plastic surgeon who has a great deal of experience with abdominoplasty antibody contouring. They will be able to assess your bulging and determine which procedure will help correct this mess.

To learn more about tummy tucks, see photos, and help you decide which one is best for you, please visit us at the link below:

Pat Pazmino, MD

Upper abdominal swelling or bulge

+2

A bulge 7 months after a tummy tuck in the upper abdomen can be several different things. It can be fatty tissue, a fluid collection or just residual swelling. See your doctor.

See your surgeon

+1

We all do tummy tuck surgery a bit differently. Without knowing about how your operation was performed and what it looked like in there as it was being done, it is difficult to say what you are best to do now. Get together with your surgeon and discuss your concerns and listen to what he or she says regarding improvement.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction should be enough

+1

The blood supply to the abdomenal wall is under stress during a tummy tuck. Liposuction contouting is not advised in the area you describe at the time of surgery. However 7 months after surgery, liposuction is just the ticket to put you in the shape you desire.

Robert M. Freund, MD