Tummy Tuck or Exercise? (photo)

Hi I'm 5'9" and weight 145 lbs I have two kids. Im 28 years old. My weight does not bother me but the shape of my abdomen and skin does. I was wondering if excersice can fix my problem or if I should consider a tummy tuck?

Exercise or Tummy Tuck?

+2

Thank you for submitting your photos.  Exercise will definitely help you trim your waist but it will likely not get rid of the extra skin that you see in your photos.  The best way to get rid of that skin is with a tummy tuck.  A tummy tuck will also help tighten your six pack abdominal muscles and help you get rid of that last bit of unwanted fat.

Exercise and weight loss not Tummy Tuck is your best option now

+1

Thank you for your question and photographs. Also congratulations on your children.

From your photographs the present time I do believe you can gain a lot of benefit with exercising and weight loss. A Tummy Tuck should not be done when there is excess fat underneath the abdominal skin because the skin cannot people tight.

After you have lost your weight and improved the strength of your abdominal muscles a Tummy Tuck and remove any loose skin that you have at that time.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck or exercise

+1

Diet and exercise will certainly help but given the fact that you have had two kids you likely have some core weakness and a tummy tuck could help with that issue. A physical exam is needed to make that determination. Visit with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Tummy contouring options

+1

If you have excess skin and muscle separation after having kids, a tummy tuck or mini-tummy tuck will be needed.   But its difficult to give any recommendations without a physical exam.  Please visit with a board certified PS to learn more about your options.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck to trim excess skin

+1

As a plastic surgeon that focuses on health and wellness, I often remind my patients that they should only consider surgery when a proper diet and exercise regimen cannot eliminate stubborn fat. However, while exercise helps to minimize your waist, it will not eliminate the excess skin on the abdomen most likely from the result of stretched muscle and skin from pregnancy. A tummy tuck will remove and trim excess skin, while also repairing the abdominal muscles for a smoother, smaller appearance. Based on your photos, you may qualify as a candidate for tummy tuck; however, an in-person consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon is required to determine the most effective treatment plan for your needs.

David Whiteman, MD

Redundant Skin – Exercise or Tummy Tuck

+1

If one has truly redundant skin and has had children, exercise cannot fix a problem such as redundant skin. It is not possible to do so. A mini or full tummy tuck may be indicated, but one should consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with experience and expertise.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Surgery

+1

Your height and weight is within the normal parameters and you have excess skin and fat on your abdominal wall. You will benefit from a tummy tuck

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck vs. Exercise, Possibly Liposuction

+1

This is a great question and is best answered after a consultation to evaluate the condition of your skin and the firmness of your abdomen. Exercise is always beneficial to maintain health and to achieve your ideal body weight prior to surgery.  If your skin is very elastic and without stretch marks, liposuction may be sufficient to contour areas resistant to exercise.  If you have stretch marks and abdominal wall laxity, then abdominoplasty is the best procedure for you.  

Joseph C. Berardi, MD

Exercise or tummy tuck

+1

I feel you would really get a nice result from a tummy tuck. Exercise will also help, but there will be a limit to how much improvement you can get with exercise alone.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Excercise vs. Tummy Tuck

+1

From the pictures, it seems that you may be a good candidate for a tummy tuck (of course, pictures can not replace a complete exam and consultation by a board certified plastic surgeon).   A good candidate only if you have reached your maximum desired weight loss.  A combination of liposuction of certain areas, excising extra skin, and tightening of the abdominal muscles may dramatically improve your entire waist line.  Goof Luck

Robert Morgan Davoudi, MD