I Have a Tattoo Right by my Hip Bone. If I Have a Tummy Tuck Will This Be Part of What is Removed?

I Have a Tattoo Right by my Hip Bone. If I Have a Tummy Tuck Will This Be Part of What is Removed

+1

The area of excision will be determined by how much skin is to be removed.  Your hip area is usually outside the excision area for a tummy tuck unless it is an extended tummy tuck.

Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Hip Tattoo and Tummy Tuck

+1

Whether your tattoo would be removed with your tummy tuck depends on where it is and the design of the tummy tuck excisional pattern. If it is on your hip bone, it most likely will be outside of the tummy tuck 'zone' and will remain.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Tattoo & Tummy Tuck

+1

Whether a tattoo needs to be removed during abdominoplasty or not depends on where it is. Yours, "by [your] hip bone" may be OK. It will depend on how far lateral the incision has to go to get it to lay flat and whether the excision near the tattoo can go above or below the tattoo, as the position of the scar can be varied. We usually vary the scar depending on what kind of swim suit you wish to wear, a bikini or French cut, but the same planning can frequently be done to protect a tattoo.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Some tattoos are removed as collateral with the skin take out of an abdominoplasty.

+1

Depending where your tattoo resides some or all of it might be removed with a tummy tuck. It is unlikely that it will be affected if it is truly on your hip at least as I define hip. Your surgeon can easily tell you what to expect.

Tattoo Removal After Tummy Tuck

+1

Some tattoos are totally removed with a tummy tuck, and some will remain behind but without a photo I cannot tell you for sure.  Please repost with a photo.

Sacha Obaid, MD

+1

Please post a photo. It is not possible to answer otherwise. All depends on the size, the location, and how much skin excess you have. All the best.