Tummy Tuck Internal Sutures?

I had a tummy tuck about 8 weeks ago, and I've been having some difficulties with my diet, so I started binging for a while (though I have only gained about 4-5 lbs., which I think it is mostly water weight) to a point where my belly got really bloated and painful. Can binging loosen up my internal sutures or does it take more than that to mess them up? I asked my surgeon and he said he did two layers and it takes more than that to mess them up, but I wanted to get more opinions from other doctors.

Binging and post of tummy tuck

+1

While you may not disrupt the sutures this far out, binging is not a good thing for your body.  You need proper amounts of protein and vegetables to heal wounds.  Please talk to your plastic surgeon about what is going on.  

Binging after a tummy tuck

+1

is never a good idea.  Even if 2 layers of sutures were used, your vomiting places extreme pressures on your sutures that could easily pull through your tissue and result in less tightness/more roundness.   Binging is just NOT a good idea.  Please discuss your concerns with your surgeon and if necessary, see a counselor about the binging because in my book, binging is a problem.

Curtis Wong, MD

Loosening of tummy tuck fascial sutures

+1

Most likely you have not harmed your surgical repair, but it is not advisable to gain a lot of weight or subject yourself to dietary intake that results in bloating, if for no other reason than it hurts!

It is usually best to get on a regular, vigorous exercise program and exercise dietary restraint; those are the patients who have the best results.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Binge Diet and Tummy Tucks

+1

Binge Dieting at 8 weeks should not alter your internal sutures.  It will significantly slow your wound healing however.  I do not recommend any crash diets post-operatively until you have been cleared to do so by your surgeon or you may find that your body does not have the nutrition necessary to heal properly.

Tummy Tuck Internal Sutures?

+1

Once six weeks has passed the sutures have pretty much done their work and the tissues have healed to 90% of the strength which they will attain. If you were to gain a lot of weight you could overwhelm any effect of your surgeon, but five pounds should make no difference.

All the best.