Cutting Along C-Section Scar During Tummy Tuck?

I am thinking of having a Tummy Tuck. However, on almost all the before and after photos I've viewed (whether here in this site or elsewhere), the cut line seems to be too high. I've been through a C-Section and the cut is low--way, way below the bikini line, and maybe just about an inch from my groin. Can they follow the C-Section cut again for the Tummy Tuck?

Low C-section scar for a tummy tuck

+1

I always utilize the low C-section scar, and occassionly lower it further. The limitation is the amount of skin excess that you have. This can not be assessed well with photographs on-line, but should be determined at a consultation.

Best of luck, and find a board-certified plastic surgeon that you trust.

Frankfort Plastic Surgeon

A low incision is the best placement for tummy tuck scar

+1

Generally, a C-section scar can be optimally included in the abdominoplasty incision as most women currently prefer low-cut jeans, etc.

The only limitation is if there is not a lot of skin to be removed with abdominoplasty. The skin from the belly button all the way down needs to be removed in order to eliminate the scar from existing belly button other wise there will be a little vertical scar. In this situation, the tummy tuck incision needs to be placed higher in order to avoid the vertical scar!

Reza Nabavian, MD
Santa Monica Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck scar location in relation to C-section scar

+1

A tummy tuck scar can be designed a number of different ways, depending on your body type, the style of underwear or bathing suits you wear, and previous scars you may have in the area of surgery.

These days, low-cut styles of jeans and swim suits are in fashion, and low-placed scars are common with abdominoplasties.

However, in the 1980s, tummy tuck scars were often designed to fall within the lines of high ("French"-cut) bathing suit styles.

Like fashion and hemlines, the design of incisions in Plastic Surgery will change from time to time!

Discuss with your Plastic Surgeon the styles of clothing you currently wear and the desired location of your scar placement.

In my practice, I usually design scars to be as low as possible, on my patients' request. However, I am open to suggestions for scar placement, based on the factors mentioned above (clothing styles, bikini bottoms, and personal preference).

The area of a C-section scar is the perfect location for most tummy tuck scars.

The old scar will be removed, and the tummy tuck will create a fresh, well-closed, slightly longer scar in its place.

A tummy tuck is an exciting procedure! Good luck to you.

Karen M. Horton, MD