Flying After Tummy Tuck?

How soon can one fly after tummy tuck surgery? It would be a 15-hour flight.

Flying after Tummy Tuck

I agree with my colleagues that 1 month is a minimum.  I also recommend frequent ambulation and compression stalkings and aspirin before, during, and after your flights.  

9200 Pinecroft
The Woodlands, TX 77380

Flying after a tummy tuck

I agree. Wait at least one month. See your surgeon and discuss this with him/her. Please be careful and heed your surgeon's advice. Good luck.

Jack Gelman, MD
Frankfort Plastic Surgeon

9721 W 165th Street
Orland Park, IL 60467

How soon do you have to fly after Tummy Tuck?

There are a few really good studies out there Shamozal that should scare the pants off of anyone thinking of a flight that long within a few weeks of tummy tuck surgery.

Your risk for developing a potentially fatal blood clot is high enough that I wouldn't like to see any of my patients fly for that length of time for at least a month, and only at that time if they are very mobile and don't have any other risks for blood clots.

It might be advisable for you to use a low dose blood thinner for the flight, but that is not a replacement for waiting.

Be very careful!

Brian K. Brzowski, MD
Ogden Plastic Surgeon

1525 East 6000 South
Ogden, UT 84405