What is Causing Swelling After Tummy Tuck and Liposuction?

I'm 22 days post Tummy Tuck, muscle repair, and Liposuction, and having local swelling. Why am I only swollen above incision? What could have cause this? It's not seroma.

Tummy Tuck: lower abdominal swelling is normal: but watch your garments

+3

This appears completely normal and you should have an excellent final result.

The lower abdominal swelling is completely normal and due to the interruption in the venous and lymphatic circulation drainging the infraumbilical panniculus.

It is primarily a combination of inflammatory changes and lymphedema. Give it time and trust your surgeon; discuss your concerns. Notify them sooner for any redness, fevers, chills, drainage, excessive pain, etc

Occasionally this can be made worse by tight elastic garments or waste bands (similar to what happens to swollen ankles resulting from tight stockings). Make sure this is not the problem.

Manual lymphatic drainage if approved by your surgeon may be beneficial to decrease the swelling.

I hope this is helpful

What is Causing Swelling After Tummy Tuck and Liposuction

+1

Swelling is normal after abdominoplasty and liposuction.  Part of the swelling is due to the disconnection of the perforators from the abdominal muscles and the incision of the lower abdomen.  Drainage that normally occurs from the abdominal wall can no longer reach the deeper drainage system directly and must travel up the abdominal wall to drain causing a delay and thus a fluid backup.

Web reference: http://www.drvitenas.com/abdominoplasty.html

Swelling after Tummy Tuck

+1

This early in the recovery process some swelling is completely normal. It should continue to improve of the next few weeks. Compression garments can certainly help minimize the swelling, but you should watch for any areas of focal constriction that can make the swelling worse.

Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after Tummy Tuck Surgery

+1

Thank you for your question.  You are still very early during the recovery process and swelling will be present for quite some time.  It may help to wear the abdominal binder, I usually recommend that some sort of compression garment be worn for the first month or so.

Keep in close communication with your surgeon so that he/she can help you through the healing process.

Web reference: http://www.thesandiegoplasticsurgeon.com/procedures/body-contouring/tummy-tuck/

The fluid won't move down past Tummy Tuck incision

+1

It's a very short time since your surgery, and your swelling is normal. The fluid will come down to your scar, but won't go farther down. Be patient. It will all resove in time, but that may take months. Some girdle compression may help.

Swelling above the tummy tuck incision

+1

I would recommend that you wear your abdominal binder/compression garment diligently.  The swelling above the incision as opposed to below the incision makes sense if no liposuction or undermining was performed below the incision.

Dr Repta

Web reference: http://aaaplasticsurgery.com