I Have Very Thick Skin; Am I a Candidate For Kenalog Injections 1 Year Post-Op?

I've been told by all the surgeons I've spoken with that I have thick skin. I believe it too as the skin on my nose tip is extremely oily & when you squeeze it, the skin feels really thick and fatty...spongy really. I had some tipwork done and there is ear cartilage in there. It's been 1 year and 3 months- no change. Nose still big. I am afraid to get a kenalog injection because some people have said it caused problems. But what I do know is that it thins out the skin. Should I get it? Thanks.

Treatment of Scar Tissue after Rhinplasty

+1
  The short answer is, yes you should try kenalog treatment.  Make sure your doctor is skilled with appropriate dosage for your type of skin, to avoid complications.  I'd be curious to know if your nose looked good shortly after surgery.  In a thick skin noses, a very specific type of a tip graft is required to achieve any definition.

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Kenalog treatments for nasal scar tissue

+1

Kenalog injections can reduce scar tissue formation in the supratip and tip regions of the nose. Whether your nose will respond at this time or even if it is appropriate to treat, should be a joint decision between you and your surgeon. There are some side effects so caution is alway advised.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Kenalog Injections in Thick Nasal Skin 1 Year Post-Op

+1

It would be best that we examined your nose before responding, but on the basis of your description I would probably cautiously inject kenalog 1 year post op. What does your surgeon recommend?

Thick nasal skin and Kenalog

+1

Kenalog will soften scar tissue but will not thin thick skin out typically. Using Kenalog in order to thin the skin is not indicated, not reliable and can cause atrophy of tissue below the skin in irregular shapes.

Julio Garcia, MD

+1

Kenalog can decrease scar tissue formation along the supra-tip region following Rhinoplasty.  Kenalog, IMHO, is the most effective during the early and mid post Rhinoplasty phase or specifically at 1-6 months post op.  At 1 year, the scar tissue has already formed and is mature.  At this point I would not use kenalog as any indentations created are likely permenent.  

As always, you can ask your Rhinoplasty Surgeon these questions.  In patients with thick, oily skin after Rhinoplasty I recommend kenalog injections at monthly intervals beginning at 1 month post op as well as daily manual lymphatic drainage, of the nose, to decrease residual nasal swelling that if left unattanded will turn into scar tissue and thicken the nasal tip.  

Kenalog a year after rhinoplasty

+1

Kenalog can be used to save the day if the scar does build up in the area just above the tip. We feel that after a year the kenalog is unlikely to be of help. Risks are greater in those with thinner fair skin, but without caution the result can be dents and broken vessels. Should you do it? Sometimes the nose cannot do what we ask it to.

peterejohnsonmd.com

Kenalog injection for post rhinoplasty swelling

+1
This is extremely difficult to answer your question with out an official consultation and thorough examination. In my opinion kenalog injections should be done, if needed a full year after the rhinoplasty surgery. This allows all the majority of the natural healing process to run it's course. Kenalog is highly effective in reducing inflammation in the tip area. Make sure the surgeon you went to is skilled in the process of injecting kenalog it is a very exact science and should be done only by a skilled surgeon.

Michael Elam, MD