Will It Be Safe to Remove my Nasal Splint 4 Days After Rhinoplasty?

i have a rhinoplasty scheduled for next week. my doctor said he will keep the splint on my face for 7 days, but my mom surprised me with a plane ticket out of state scheduled 4 days after my surgery. i prefer not to have my nose bandaged during my visit. so, my question is: would it be ok to remove my nasal splint after 4 days? the only work my my cosmetic surgeon will be doing on my nose is a tip reduction and slight rotation, and just shaving down the bridge. Thanks!

Follow your surgeon's advice with rhinoplasty

+1

It's important to follow your surgeon's post-op schedule precisely. Experienced surgeons know what's required to get a good result and what might compromise that. Why risk the results of rhinoplasty by tripping at the finish line? Most of us sincerely want to get patients back to their normal routine as soon as possible, but you can't rush wound healing. Besides, there are other risks with flying out of state and being unavailable to your surgeon immediately post-op. I'd leave the cast and splints in place, if it were me...and I wouldn't be planning a trip so soon after a rhinoplasty. Consider moving the surgery, if possible, or postpone the trip.

--DCP

Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Splint Removal

+1

If no osteotomies ( bone work ) is being done during your rhinoplasty it will probably be OK to remove the splint at 4 days.

Richard Galitz, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Splint removal after rhinoplasty

+1

I also agree that this is a question which should be discussed with your primary surgeon. Typically splints may be left in place for longer periods when osteotomies are done or "bones are broken." I usually see patients on postoperative day 1 and day 7. Usually at day 7 the nasal tapes and splints are removed. Good luck

Richard Ellenbogen, MD

Timing of Splint Removal After Rhinoplasty

+1

This is definitely an issue to discuss with your surgeon before your planned operation.  The best results depend on a partnership between you and your surgeon, including honest communication.  Only he knows what will be the proper length of time to have your nose taped and splinted, based on what he finds and does intraoperatively.  The short term inconvenience should be worth an excellent long term result.  Good luck! 

James Bartels, MD
Manchester Facial Plastic Surgeon

When To Remove the Splint After Tip Rhinoplasty

+1

If the doctor is not cutting or breaking and repositioning the bones there should be no problem with removing the splint after the fourth day. But I think this is something you need to discuss with your surgeon.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Splint removal after rhinoplasty

+1

For most cases, it is ok to remove the splint after the fourth day. I persnally remove them after the fifth day,  but know plenty of excellent surgeons that remove them on the fourth day. I would not worry about it.

Andres Bustillo, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Removing nasal splint after rhinoplasty

+1
This would be a question that would be subjective to your surgeon. Since he knows exactly what he is doing and what his common procedures are he will tell you if he is comfortable deviating from the usual postoperative plan. I do have lots of patients who fly in from out of state and country and there are occasions when I remove things earlier to make arrangements for their travels home. However this is never done to the detrement of proper healing. Also my patients are typically being referred to another Plastic Surgeon who is a friend or associate out of state/country who I have familiarized with their surgery so they may accommodate their further post operative needs. To be getting on a plane with no one scheduled for post operative care in the event of a problem would not be recommended. Perhaps your surgeon can write a letter to the airlines and postpone your travels to ensure your proper recovery and happy travels at a later date. Best regards!

Michael Elam, MD

Nasal splint

+1

It is best to take your surgeon's advice regarding how long the nose needs to be splinted. i usually leave the splint in place for a full 7 days to keep the swelling down and maintain the proper position of the nasal bones if they are fractured.  If the bones will not be fractured, I may shorten the time requirement for wearing a splint, but in your case, you should follow the instructions of your surgeon.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD