What Happens to the Skin Elasticity After an Open Rhinoplasty Dorsal Hump Removal?

Hello, I'm scheduled to have an open Rhinoplasty next week. I will be having the hump removed which just now led me to wonder what will happen to that extra skin? I just turned 46 and I'm aleeady tarting to notice those "Parentheses lines" so is the extra skin going to drape down and make the lines look even worse? I figure at my age my skin elasticity or rather lack of may work against me. Thank you for your time. Andrea

Skin elasticity after rhinoplasty to remove dorsal hump

+1

The excess skin will redrape across the nasal bridge and “shrink wrap” to the new cartilaginous bony framework after a rhinoplasty.  Excess skin does not need to be removed.

Will there be excess Nose Skin left over after Nasal Hump

+1

The removal of even a prominent nasal hump never rsults in excess skin because the nasal skin shrinks to the new smaller nose framework. 

+1

The excess skin, of the nose, skrinks down to accommodate the smaller nasal frame after dorsal hump removal during Rhinoplasty.  This may take a few months but doesn't seem to ever be noticable as the proccess is occuring.  Be sure your Rhinoplasty Surgeon understandfs and follows the proper aesthetics of facial (and nasal) beauty for the creation of a naturally, more attractive nose.

Skin will shrink after hump reduction

+1

At 46, there is a very good chance that the skin will shrink to fit the new frame after hump reduction, though your question is a good one. As you become much older the bet can be off and laxity can be reflected in lines and porosity, and at worse, lack of tip support. This is a good question to bring to your surgeon.

peterejohnsonmd.com

Skin shrinkage after hump removal

+1

After hump removal the skin of the nose will shrink down. However, if the dorsum is lowered too much towards the tip, too much scar tissue could form and cause a "polly beak" deformity. This is much less common these days with better understanding and techniques of rhinoplasty. Nasal collapse can also happen if the dorsum is lowered too much. If you are comfortable with your surgeon I wouldn't worry about it. Otherwise give him/her a quick call to discuss. Good luck.

Ronald Schuster, MD