What is the Best Treatment for Lip Lines, or Lipstick Lines? (photo)

I'm a 34yr old white female. I have pale skin in the winter and I do tan in the summer. I have noticed over the past few years that my lipstick is starting to bleed into my face and I'm getting two or three noticeable lines on my upper lip. I'm a non-smoker and I used to have full shapely lips. My lips still have some shape, though my lips have turned a bit pale, and seem flat. What can I do to fix the lines and bring some life back to my lips?

What is the Best Treatment for Lip Lines, or Lipstick Lines?

+2

I have treated these vertical lip lines with various Lasers, Chemical Peels and Dermabrasion for over 25 years and IMHO nothing is as easy and works as well as some dilute Botox injected into the area.  I have done this for almost 20 years and despite what you may read or hear...it's very safe and effective when done properly.  

Re: Best Treatment For Lip Lines or Lipstick lines?

+1

Belotero is a relatively new hyaluronic acid filler. It is processed through a unique technology that gives the molecules a different light weight structure. It is unique because it can actually fill fine lines without the risk of clumping or discoloration. And doctors can inject it superficially. Therefore, it can be used to fill the lines around your lips.

Belotero can also be used to add volume and shape to your lips as well. But depending on the look you want, you may also consider older forms of hyaluronic acid like Juvederm and Restylane.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Restylane for Lip Shaping

+1

You look to be an excellent candidate for Restylane.  It is a hyaluronic acid that can be inject superficially in the skin.  I would inject it first into the vermillion.  This would soften some of the whistle lines and enhance the transition from the skin of the lip to the red portion.  Then, I would inject a little into the red portion of the lip to give you extra volume.  One syringe should do the trick (1 cc) without overfilling and causing that duckbill look, a very natural final result.  

John Bitner, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Injectable Fillers For Upper Lip Rejuvenation

+1

Vertical wrinkle lines of the upper lip are pesky problems that defy any one single long-term solution. Hyaluron-based injectable fillers and small doses of Botox are the best treatments when the lip lines are still superficial and one is still relatively young. An injectable filler will provide instant shape to an upper lip that has become deflated.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Lip Lines

+1

There are a few different options to achieve fullness in your lips, including fillers and lip implants.  The key is to achieve a natural appearing results that fits the rest of your face.  Lipstick lines can also be filled in using fillers.  Please consult with a board certified specialist who can assist you in achieving the results you seek. 

Kimberly Lee, MD

Best treatment for lip lines

+1

Juvederm, Restylane, or Belotero are the best options for correcting an aging lip. They are used to replace lost volume, define the vermilion borders and create a more youthful curl, elevate and lift the corners of the mouth, and correct vertical wrinkle lines. They can restore the natural contour of the upper and lower lip and enhance the Cupid’s bow area. Lifting the corners of the mouth gives a hint of a smile and reduces the “sad or angry look” when they are down turned. Please remember, your results depend upon the skill and experience of your physician injector.

The video link below shows me injecting my wife’s lips with Restylane!

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

+1

In general, this can be a challenging problem to permanently fix. Lip lines like you are concerned about are the rule in Denver given the dry climate and intense sun exposure so I deal with this often. Temporary options include hyaluronic acid fillers such as Juvederm or Belotero to fill the fine lines as well as Botox to selectively relax the muscle that creates and accordion effect and deepens the line. Fillers last about 12 months and Botox in this area lasts 2-3 months typically. The best long-term option is dermabrasion or aggressive laser resurfacing of this area. This creates about one week of downtime and some redness that can last several weeks to a couple of months. However, the results are long-lasting. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip lines and volume

+1

Restylane and Juvederm both work great in the lips for a natural lip augmentation.    Adding a small volume along the edge of your lips (the vermillion) will help smooth the small lip lines and maintain the shape of your already nicely shaped lips.  Volume can also be added to the body of your upper and lower lips to give a fuller appearance.  Lip augmentation can easily be performed in the office.  

Jessica Kulak, MD
Fairfax Facial Plastic Surgeon

Flat lips with creases can be fixed easily either temporarily or permanently.

+1

Temporary fillers such as restylane, juvederm or belotero @ $550/syringe do great to fill the lips and get rid of creases and last about 3-6 months. A permanent solution would be a lip implant which would not only inflate the lips but also get rid of and prevent further lip creases for $1500-2000/implant. All options are done under local anesthesia and easy to undergo.  Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Best Treatment for Lip Lines

+1

Thanks for posting that question!  Although I cannot discern much from the provided photograph, this is a common patient problem.  A small amount of dermal fillers, sometimes along with micro-injections of Botox, will typically fill out the lines nicely.  Best wishes!

Brian Howard, MD
Alpharetta Plastic Surgeon