Would TENS Breast Massage Electrode Pads Be Helpful in Preventing Capsular Contracture?

I have CC on one breast and am going to get new implants but prefer to stay sub-mammary and not make new pockets under the muscle If it can be avoided? I have heard of the Tens device for muscle pain and found they have breast pads for massage and am interested to know if anyone has any experience in use for the post op process to help prevent CC.

Using a TENS unit to prevent capsular contracture

+2

I am not familiar with the use of a TENS unit in this manner.  I would think that regular breast massage is all that is needed.  The TENS may even be painful post op. 

+1

The TENS units have not been evaluated in this manner.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Doubt a TENS Unit Would be Effective.

+1

A TENS unit is designed to stimulate muscles. There is no evidence that this would have any effect on prevention of capsular contracture. The capsule itself has no muscle fibers. It is a thin layer of scar tissue. It is doubtful that stimulation of this scar tissue would be of any benefit. 

William H. Huffaker, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

+1

Thanks for the question.Yes I think TANS may work for me.The best thing that works for most patient is to be with your boy friend or husband frequently if possible on daily basis as soon as the wound has healed and this meeting must continue for first 4 months when the contracture forms.The massage you get with this effort is better then what you try to do it yourself.Wish you good luck.

Ashok Govila, FRCS, MCh, MS
Dubai Plastic Surgeon