Is This a Double Bubble? Is a double bubble painful? (photo)

Not sure if this will go away or if it is a double bubble? Is a double bubble painful? this really hurts and sometimes feels better if I hold it.

Double Bubble

+1

The "double bubble" look after a breast augmentation is usually the result of having a tight crease at the base of the breast that does not relax after surgery and an uneven cover of tissue over the implant.  It is not usually associated with discomfort.  The pain you describe may be pressure associated with stretching of tissues in the early post operative phase.  If it does not resolve check with your surgeon.  

Double bubble

+1

It looks as if your surgery was relatively recent.  In the area that is shown in the photo, the ridge may very well be your old crease under your breast which needed to be moved in order to accommodate your new implants.  Sometimes there is temporary swelling and bruising in this area that resolves over time.  If your surgery was some time ago, I would recommend an evaluation with your plastic surgeon to see if things can be improved.

Adam David Lowenstein, MD, FACS
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Double bubble

+1

It might be a very minor double bubble. If your surgery was recent, it may well improve on its own.  Intermittent pain in the breasts is sometimes seen after breast augmentation.  Again, if your surgery was recent, it should improve with time.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Minimal contour problem, not really a double bubble.

+1

I think a bit more time will probably solve this contour irregularity. You should consult with your plastic surgeon about the discomfort.

Treatment of minor breast double contour problems

+1

This appears to be mild and in my experience most patients self correct with time. I typically have my patients wear a bra and cut out  a segment of it where I want the breast to expand (the lower pole in your case). If after a year it is still present you can consider fat grafting as an office procedure.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Is This a Double Bubble?

+1

Yes that is a very minor "double bubble" effect. I treat by riggotomies and fat grafting under local anesthesia. 

Double bubbles

+1

can occur but I'm finding too many ruminating and obsessing over it.  You had an augmentation and during the process, the anticipated results are reviewed.  If your breasts were narrow or tuberous-like or if you had to have your implants lowered considerably, you will have a double bubble.  Many of these will stretch out with time.  You have a nice result from your augmentation... focus on the great results instead of worrying about issues that are beyond your control.  If it remains a problem after a couple of years, then see your surgeon about possible fixes.

Curtis Wong, MD

Double bubble

+1

A double bubble occurs when the breast tissue does not expand over the implant because the breast is narrow or when the implant falls below the fold and causes a ridge.  They are not usually painful. It looks like yours is mild and may go away if this is a gland issue and your surgery was recent.

Double bubble trouble

+1

Hello esm,

Thank your for the question and photos.  A double bubble can be a few different things but often it is the presence of the implant below your original breast fold that remains tight.  With time this can improve and if it does not either repair of the pocket to raise the implant or release of the fold to prevent the indentation can be performed.  A double bubble usually is not a source of physical pain so your discomfort should be evaluated to make sure it is not something else.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Double Bubble after Breast Augmentation?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures. It is very difficult, based on the photographs, to tell whether you are dealing with a breast implant displacement problem. To me, not knowing more of your history, it seems like the lower pole of the breast ( where you see redness)  seems to be irritated ( possibly by a bra?).

“Double bubble” issues are not necessarily painful. Sometimes however breast implant displacement problems that cause the appearance of the double bubble may be painful; this discomfort  is often alleviated when the patient supports the area involved.

Best, for accurate diagnosis, advice, and/or reassurance, to be seen by your plastic surgeon.