Tattoo at the Back of Knee Excision?

I have a stretch mark on the back of my knee, so I got a tattoo to be over it. Now I want the tattoo to be excisioned out. Is this possible? It is around one inch long less the one inch thick (tattoo). If so any recommendations for doctors in California, Orange county area? P.S. I want to use excision for the method.

Excision of tatoo behind the knee

+2

There probably isn't enough extra skin behind your knee to excise the tatoo without causing problems with full range of motion of the joint as Dr. Placik has said.  Even if you could excise it and close it, after time it could either restrict motion, or conversly, it could stretch out and be a big ugly scar. 

Excising a Tattoo Behind the Knee

+1

Excising a tattoo located behind the knee is not a medically sound decision. The area is constantly bending and moving, and the area would be prone to irritation and bothersome scarring were you to excise the tattoo. I highly recommend you consider using a pigment laser to remove the ink. 

Cameron Rokhsar, MD

Scar revision behind the knee

+1

It is best to leave this area untouched by surgery as the risks are greater than an area that doesn't flex and extend as much. When operating on the joint, an incision is made and there is not much tension when the skin is closed because no skin is removed. When skin is excised, as it would be with your knee, then there would be a lot of tension when you extend your leg out straight. The scar may become hypertrophic, red, raised and painful. It may affect your daily routine and interfere with your quality of life. You might want to see Dr. Gary Lask or Dr. Ron Moy to evaluate laser treatment. Good luck

Ronald Shelton, MD

Removing tattoo of scar behind knee

+1

I would not recommend excision in this area as a tight scar could cause problems and would likely be unsightly. Even though you would prefer excision, I would recommend laser tattoo removal.

Tattoo excision

+1

No, what you are considering is probably not a good option. Be careful you do not trade one problem for a worse  problem. Excision of your tattoo will obviously result in a scar that may be unsightly. Several excisions (staged) may be necessary because of the tightness of the skin in this area. Complications such as  wound  healing problems and/or spreading of the  scar are common in this area.

I would suggest laser tattoo treatment.