Safe to Put Juvederm in Lips After Silicone?

i had silicone injected to my lips can i have juvederm or other dissolvable fillers injected into the lips or should i stick with silicone?

Silicone and later Juvederm for lips

+1

There is no direct chemical intereaction between the Silicone you had and a new filler such as Juvederm or Restylane if it were injected. The Silicone is permanent and the hyaluronic acids just mentioned are temporary. There can be, and I have seen a reaction, of Silicone years later after the tissues near it are traumatized. There could be a disturbance of a biofilm and potential infection when a minimally invasive procedure such as injecitons are done near the prior Silicone. This is a theoretical concern. If you have the new filler, and you see months or even years later, a tender bump form, it could be the Silicone reacting, or a delayed response to the hyaluronic acid, but this would be very rare.

Juvederm and Silicone

+1

I have not had any complications injecting juvederm in patients who have had silicone in any location on the face.  Although many complications have been reported with silicone, there are no known chemical interactions between hyaluronic acid and an inert material such as silicone.  If there are contour deformities or other complications of the lips caused by prior silicone, these may or may not be temporarily correctable with juvederm.

Kevin Ende, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Silicone and juvederm in lips

+1

I am not a fan of silicone injections becasue of the side effects.  I have injected patients with hyaluronic acids like juvederm after they were previously injected with silicone and they did fine.

Juvederm is fine over silicone

+1

I see a lot of patients who, years later, have lumps and irregularities from silicone they had injected (not by me, I do not like premanent fillers in the lips). I regularly use Juvederm to smooth the irregularities. It will last several months. Unfortunately, the silicone never goes away.

Mary Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist

Juvederm CAN be used as a filler in Lips injected with Silicone

+1

There is NO adverse interaction between Hyaluronic Acid fillers (Restylane / Juvederm) and Silicone. As a result, there in no contraindication to using Juvederm as a lip filler in lips injected with silicone. The injection process may be challenging and the spread of Juvederm however, may be hampered by the presence of silicone induced scar tissue

Dr. Aldea

Mixing lip injectables

+1

I am not sure if any study has truly evaluated the safety of using multiple different injectables on the lips and so I don't have a definitive answer but I do not believe this would be a problem.