I Have Started Self Injecting Juvederm Ultra 4 What Precautions Should I Take?

I ordered some juvederm ultra 4 and I've started doing my nasal labial folds. Im just wondering what precautions I need to take apart from the obvious use alcohol wipes and inject far in enough for it to look natural and close enough to the surface for it to show? Any advice? I have seen my doctor do it many times before and the nasal labial folds are easy any tips on how to do the lips?

Hopefully you are teasing us

+3

Hopefully, this is a joke, but in case you are serious, my adamant advice would be not to do it. Calling these procedures easy and querying us on how to inject your own lips and naso-labial folds would be akin to a non-swimmer asking Michael Phelps for tips on how to achieve maximum speed doing the backstroke and butterfly.

Even if you were to gain entrance to medical school, and successfully complete a dermatology or plastic surgery residency, operating on yourself has to be downright dumb.

Also, I am curious whether, lay people can order Juvederm with such apparent ease. Kinda like ordering a book from Amazon I guess.

Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Perhaps analysis?

+2

It is just insanity to play doctor. Board certified dermatologists and plastic surgeons spend years learning basics before we perform medical procedures on patients. I have seen horrible complications from self-treatments such as what you are considering. You have no idea the location of major arteries that if hit, can cause severe adverse events. You do not know the depth or angle to inject. You have no idea how to manage complications that can happen even under expert care. No sane doctor would clean up your disaster and risk the liability. And for what? to save a couple of hundred dollars? I would examine why you think this idea of yours has merit. It kind of reminds me of how BP cut corners to save a few million and now has spent billions to remedy their stupidity in the Gulf. God bless.

Mary P. Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist

Advice for Self injecting juvederm ultra 4

+2

"I ordered some juvederm ultra 4 and I've started doing my nasal labial folds. Im just wondering what precautions I need to take apart from the obvious use alcohol wipes and inject far in enough for it to look natural and close enough to the surface for it to show? Any advice? I have seen my doctor do it many times before and the nasal labial folds are easy any tips on how to do the lips"

? Life repeating art. Catch me if You can.

As a medical student, I was taught that " a doctor who treats himself has a fool for a patient". I wonder what that makes you. I guess we should be glad you did not take up flying after seeing a pilot "do it".

+1

You may be tempted to inject yourself with fillers or Botox, but I would not recommend injecting yourself.  Injections can cause a number of problems if not injected precisely besides the obvious cosmetic problems.  If these problems occur, you would need immediate treatment to prevent or ameliorate some devastating consequences.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

A Doctor Who Operates On Himself Has A Fool For His Surgeon

+1

A Doctor Who Operates On Himself Has A Fool For His Surgeon is the corollary to: A Lawyer Who Represents Himself in Court has a Fool for His Attorney. Both o these maxims involve highly trained persons. Just imagine how bad it would be if they were not.

THIS IS JUST WHAT YOU ARE DOING ! 

Not to mention practicing medicine without a license which is illegal in all States in the US. It is downright dangerous and you are highly likely to have complications too numerous to list.  It just isn't worth it.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Self-injecting Juvederm

+1

I too am fairly sure that you are joking and wouldn't risk buying some likely illegal or fake juvederm on the internet, and then risking your health, face, and beauty by injecting yourself without proper anatomic and medical training. 

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm self injections

+1

Not only should you not self inject Juvederm because of horrible potential side effects, but how do you know that the product you bought illegally is really Juvederm?  If your doctor's injection technique appears easy to do, it probably means he is highly skilled.  Continue to be treated by him. 

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Juvederm self injection

+1

Injecting yourself with any filler is simply not safe and not worth the risk.  Even in the best hands, complications can occur.  Physicians have years of training in anatomy and procedures that you do not.  Skilled facial surgeons learn from experienced injectors before treating patients with fillers.  If you inject in the wrong area, you could necrose a significant portion of your face.  The best advice: Don't do it.  Save money at the grocery store, not like this! 

Kathleen F. Archer, MD
Houston Oculoplastic Surgeon

Self-treating with filler

+1

It is not a good idea to self inject filler even if youare a doctor or a qualified injector in your community. I suggest you find a physician in yoru area to do it for you.

Self injecting juvederm

+1

The precautions are not to be so foolish to "self treat" yourself. I'm sure you can find a doctor to inject you in your area. Be careful