Juvaderm and Lupus Safety

Is juvaderm safe for a person with Lupus?

Lupus and juvederm

+2

There was confusion many years ago with collagen-vascular disease and collagen injections.  There should not be a cause and effect between Juvederm and Lupus but you should get the OK from your doctor who treats your Lupus to have the filler as there could be other concerns such as an increased risk of infection in some Lupus patients depending on the skin condition and then the filler might be a problem.

Lupus and fillers

+1

I do not know of any association between lupus and juvederm injections. Always clear things through your rheumatologist before undergoing any elective procedure.

Juvederm Most Likely Is Safe With Lupus

+1

Very good question.

Hyaluronic acid injections, the major component of Juvederm are used to treat osteoarthritis of the joints such as the knee and ankle.  These injections can be successful and do not seem to worsen the arthritis.  Lupus is different and involves antibodies to ones own tissue or DNA.  For years I have cautioned those with lupus to avoid collagen injections since I was afraid the collagen, especially the original bovine collagen could turn-on an immune response to an almost human collagen. I cannot find any medical references speaking to Juvederm of Hyaluronic Acid injections worsening lupus, so I consider it most likely safe.

You could also start small, with one tube and monitor your results.

Keith Denkler, MD
Marin Plastic Surgeon