Does Juvederm Build Up over Time, Become Permanent?

I've heard that products like Juvederm only last about 6 months, but that they have the potential to build up over time so that your (in my case) lip never returns to the absolute starting point. Is that true? Do any fillers have the potential to build up and become permanent?

Generally the results of Juvederm last longer overtime as you add more product

+2

Generally the results of Juvederm last longer overtime as you add more product. This is partly because of collagen production and partly because some of the Juvederm is still present. So, when you build up the product over a 6 month period, it tends to last longer and longer.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Juvederm buildup over time

+1

I do not think that Juvederm builds up over time.  Certainly in some areas it lasts longer.  Perhaps a collagen reaction happens in the area and maybe a small amount of build up occurs although I have not seen any reports substantiating it. If you use Juvederm prepare to have repeat injections every 6-12 months to maintain the improvement.

Additional Volume Build-Up after Fillers

+1

Hyaluronic Acid fillers (Juvederm, Restylane, Perlane) act by immediately adding volume to a depressed or volume deficient area. In addition, they result in a low grade inflammatory reaction which in turn results in the creation of more collagen in the area. This results in a slow volumetric build-up in the area despite the transient nature of these fillers.

Fillers produce more collagen

+1
The fillers themselves do not build up, but your body makes collagen as a response to the injections. There is an inflammatory response to injections and this creates the collagen. It usually is not the same volume as what the filler creates immediately but some patients show clinical improvement long after the filler is knownn to dissolve.

Ronald Shelton, MD