Silastic Vs Medpor Chin Implant

Which material is better?

Medpore over silicone (silastic) implant

+2

I prefer Medpore over silastic implants because the porous nature of the Medpore allows local tissue to grow into it and stabilize it in 3 dimensional space. This stabilizes the pressure which a silastic implant can generate against the underlying bone. Those implants have a smooth capsule formed around them and the elasticity of the skin and function of the muscles in the chin push the prosthesis against the bone of the chin. This creates piezoforces that can lead to bone resorption. Medpore is harder to put in and almost always has to be removed in the advent of an infection (which is very uncommon). All things considered, I prefer Medpore.

Silastic implants

+2

I think the silastic implant is superior. While it doesn't have the tissue ingrowth the the medipor implant has, its softer and more forgiving in terms of contour.

Robert Frank, MD
Munster Plastic Surgeon

Silastic vs Medpor vs Goretex vs Mersilene Chin Implants

+1

The Choice of Surgeon more important than choice of implant is the most important
thing.  I personally prefer Silastic over Medpor as it has better handling characteristics but both products are good choices. Goretex, Silastic or Medpor are more predictable than Mersilene. This is because Mersilene comes in fhe form of a soft mesh that is folded multiple times and potentially can be distorted during the healing process. It is also an off label FDA usage of this product. 

Both conventional implant materials such as silicone, medpor  and gore tex are reasonable choices for chin implant surgery. Most important by far is the skill and expertise of the surgeon and not the material used. That would be the basis I would use to find the best surgeon.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Medpore or Silastic for Chin Implant?

+1

"Better" is not the feature to comment on; rather surgeon's preference.

I certainly prefer silastic implants. First, they have a long track record of use and safety. Silastic implants heal by formation of a tight fitting capsule around the implant structure which ensures its position. Screws, although possible, are usually not necessary in my practice. I rather use temporary sutures to ensure midline position of the implant during the initial healing time. Silastic is an material which is relatively easy to handle for the surgeon. It is flexible thereby conforming nicely to the chin bone.

In addition, removal or replacement of silastic implant is relatively easy.
Although this issue should be kept at a bare minimum, I have seen patients who wished larger or smaller versions of their chin implants.

Medpore implants are difficult to remove.

Again, there are other surgeons who have a good experience with Medpore.

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Silastic implant is preferred

+1

Our experience with Silastic chin implants has been quite extensive over the last 20 years, and there has been a very minimal complication rate. The Silastic implant is quite easy to remove if ever needed, while Medpor is not. The Silastic feels very natural and would be the obvious choice.

Chin implant material

+1

Medpor versus silcone....great question! I prefer silicone because of the ease in putting it in and its softness. However, silicone ones may move as tissue ingrowth does not occur. Medpor implants do get tissue ingrowth and may not move as much as silicone ones. Talk to you plastic surgeon and see if you can touch and feel samples of the material as this may sway you toward silicone because of its softness. I hope this helps!

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

Silastic implant is my preference

+1

Having been in practice for over 20 years, I have put in hundreds of chin implants and feel that silastic is superior. The tissue ingrowth in the medpor implant can be problematic if you ever decide to remove it and I think it might have a higher chance of developing an infection.

Unless there is something unique about your situation, which you should discuss with your surgeon, I would tend to go with the silastic implant. Obviously, there will be people with different opinions but this is a frank discussion you should have with your surgeon.

Darrick E. Antell, MD

Silastic chin implants are reliable and time tested.

+1

I've been using Silastic Chin Implants (Implantech) for 10 years, and this is my personal preference. Silastic is a silicone elastomer with a track record of safety for over 30 years. These implants feel and look natural, and I haven't had a reason to try another product like Medpore.

I hope this helps, and best regards.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Silastic preferred over Medpore for chin implants

+1

I agree completely with the previous post. Silastic has numerous advantages over medpore including ease of implantation, ease of removal (if necessary), as well as shape and feel of the implant. It is unnecessary to anchor the silastic implant with screws as a non-permanent suture is sufficient while the capsule forms. However, some other surgeons may prefer Medpore for other reasons and both are excellent options.

Jason D. Meier, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon