Chin Implant Before Cosmetic Dental Work?

I have a very weak chin and am researching a Chin implant. Problem is, I need a lot of general and cosmetic dental work done. Which procedure should be done first?

The right timing for your Chin Implant.

+2

Dear Stephiegee,

This is a great question, and the timing might make a difference.

If your teeth have infection, you should probably get your mouth taken care of first. Rarely, chin implants can get infected, and I think you could minimize that possible complication by eliminating any sources of infection in your mouth.

Best regards.

West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant and cosmetic dental work

+1

If your required dental work is cosmetic, then either doing the chin implant first or the dental work is acceptable.  Unless you have serious root canal issues in the front bottom teeth, in which case you may wish to have the teeth adressed first, I think the chin implant will have a short recovery, but make a big improvement in your appearance and self confidence.

With both a medical as well as a dental degree, I perform a lot of chin surgery and after an exam, would be able to give better advice.

Darrick E. Antell, MD

Doesn't matter which is done first

+1

It really does not matter if the cosmetic dentistry is done or the chin implant is done first. The chin implant itself is placed well below the tooth roots and should not pose any problem whatsoever as long as the chin implant has been placed in the proper place and the dental work is done appropriately.

Complete dental work before a chin implant

+1

Dental procedures can release bacteria into the blood stream and cause infection of implants in the body. It is for this reason that patients with prosthetic heart valves are instructed to take antibiotics prior to any dental work.

I would recommend the dental work be completed before a chin implant, in order to minimize any risk of infection.

Maurice M. Khosh, MD

Best to have dental work completed first

+1

Stephiegee:

Either option would be possible, but my suggestion would be to complete the dental work first. I doubt that the dental work would alter the appearence so that the chin implant procedure would change, but it would depend on the details.

Invasive procedures that may spread bacteria into the blood stream include dental cleaning and dental surgery (and general surgery procedures, colonoscopy, etc.). Such bacteria might take advantage of your chin implant and cause late infection, so completing the dental procedures first would minimize that risk.

I suggest that you also discuss this with your dental specialists.

Sutton Graham II, MD
Greenville Plastic Surgeon

Teeth first

+1

Implants whether chin, breast, cheek or others are very unforgiving when it comes to bacteria.  I would highly recommend getting the dental work done first.  In addition every time you dental work I would suggest having preoperative antibiotics.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Take care of your teeth first.

+1

I would generally recommend that the dental work be done first if it is a major undertaking and may involve root canals or mangement of teeth with infection because this could transmit the bacteria to the implant if performed close in time.