How Soon Can Chin Implant Be Replaced or Removed?

How soon can I have my Chin implant either removed or replaced with a smaller one? I don't want to wait a couple of months because I am turning 40 and would like to have another baby very soon. I was hoping to just have this procedure done and have it behind me. Please advise.

Chin implants can be removed anytime.

+2

Dear Oaklandgirl,

The only reason to remove a chin implant is if it's infected, crooked, or unattractive. How long ago did you have it placed? Why do you think your surgery needs to be redone? I've seen my mentor shave down the front of an implant that projected too much, but this was performed many months after the initial placement.

Feel free to post / email me a picture so I could give you better advice.

I hope this helps, and best regards.

West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Wait for swelling to go down before deciding to remove

+1

A chin implant can be removed at any point in time after the original procedure. It is important to wait at least a couple of months to make sure the swelling is down and make a final decision as to whether or not you intend to keep the chin implant or not. A downsizing of the chin can be performed by either custom carving down the current implant that you have or replacing it with a smaller pre-manufactured one. Either one of these is done under local anesthesia.

Secondary implant augmentation genioplasty can be done at almost any time.

+1

You never specified how long ago you had the implant placed nor did you indicate the type of implant.

There is really no definitive time recommendations or guidelines and you can proceed at any time if you are absolutely certain in your decision to downsize.

Alloplastic silicone chin implants are quire easy to remove and replace.

Chin implant removal

+1

A chin implant can be removed at anytime if you are sure the result is stable. Swelling can sometimes take take several months to fully subside. However, if you are sure you wish to reduce the size, a subtle enlargement may remain after removal due to the scar capsule that remains and this may give you what you want without replacing the implant.

Stanley G. Poulos, MD
Greenbrae Plastic Surgeon

The most important thing is to determine why you want to exchange your chin implant

+1

If you just had a chin implant there is no reason that you would have to wait to have it removed if you just want it out. However if you are desiring a different result or look it probably would be best to wait 6 months to see what the final result really will be. There are other reasons to re-operate early which may include the implant is crooked, in the wrong position or maybe even slipped. No sense in waiting if there is an obvious need to redo the surgery.

Carl W. 'Rick' Lentz III, MD

You can have chin implant removed now

+1

I am not familiar with the details of your particular surgery, but if you just had the procedure done recently, you may want to give it some time for the swelling to go down.

Having said that, if you are extremely unhappy with the result, in my opinion you could replace the implant, or possibly remove it entirely at this time. I have only had one patient request removal shortly after the surgery as the vast majority of patients are quite satisfied with the result. I also do not recall replacing one for a smaller implant so you have to weigh the possibility of residual swelling masking your final result.

Darrick E. Antell, MD