What Foods Should One Eat After Rhinoplasty?

Whatfoods should be eaten after Rhinoplasty, and for how long in terms of weeks before returning to a normal diet? Would weight gain shakes be good substitutes for food? Because I would imagine that having to pass stool with solid foods would cause the same strain as lifting heavy items.

Keep things cool and no spicy foods after Rhinoplasty

Keeping things cool and not spicy will only help. This will cool the area and keep things from oozing. Hot liquids and spicy foods will tend to dilate your blood vessels and lead to more bruising and swelling. Keeping your head elevated will also be beneficial. Afrin nasal sprays or nasal constrictors can help too. Nasal irrigation will clean the nose as well. Icing immediately after the surgery and for 48 hours can keep things cool and less swollen.

Sometimes your doctor will think about steroids to keep swelling down as well, and you can ask your physician about this. I usually prescribe a medrol dose pack for excessive swelliing.

But back to foods, there is not a lot of scientific studies looking into the influence of foods on results of Rhinoplasty (nose job / nose plastic surgery / nose cosmetic surgery / rhino plasty / rino plasty). Most suggestions are based on common sense and the general sense of the surgeon.

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Foods to eat after rhinoplasty

There really are no specific food restrictions after a rhinoplasty.  I would say get foods that you enjoy that do not cause pain when you chew on them. Sometimes patients have an uncomfortable feeling when they open their mouth widely after surgery.

Foods to eat after rhinoplasty

In general, I recommend that patients eat light foods and drink plenty of fluids the first two days after surgery. This includes soups, yogurt, crackers, mashed potatoes, etc. The reason is that many people will have nausea the first day after surgery. Also, foods which are hard to chew might be uncomfortable the first day or two after surgery.

After that, most patients feel comfortable eating any kind of foods.

The pain pills can cause constipation. It's a good idea to have a stool softener available in case you do become constipated.

John Diaz, MD

No special diet for rhinoplaty

Except for the first 24 - 48 hours after Rhinoplasty, no special diet is required. For the first 24 -48 hours after the surgery, I advise my patients to eat a cool, soft, light diet.

The goals are 1 avoid postop nausea and vomiting 2 hot foods dilate blood vessels and can increase the chance of bleeding.

Constipation is caused by narcotic pain medications. My Rhinoplasty patients do not experience significant discomfort and we avoid pain meds that cause constipation.

Richard L. Dolsky, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Post-Rhinoplasty Diet

Good question! Every surgeon should have their own post-rhinoplasty protocol that would typically include information regarding what to eat after surgery. I recommend that patients drink as much as possible after surgery. Water and gatorade are great choices, however I suggest that my patients stay away from carbonated and caffeinated beverages. For the first 24 hours I suggest that my patients stay away from major protein or complex foods.Clear liquids like Sprite or ginger ale are great, and crackers can help to prevent postop nausea until the anesthetic has left your system.  Eating good nutritious food in the 2-3 days after surgery is extremely important and will make you start to feel stronger after having surgery. I usually recommend starting with soft foods like mashed potatoes, warm (not too hot) soups, oatmeal, or even fruit smoothies. These are all things that your body would be able to tolerate well after surgery and help to regain your strength.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Avoid Spicy Foods & Foods That Can Cause Nausea Following Rhinoplasty

Patients who undergo rhinoplasty are allowed to resume a normal diet with two major exceptions. Any food that has the potential to cause indigestion should be avoided. Nausea and vomiting can have significant negative consequences for rhinoplasty patients in the immediate post-operative period.

In addition, hot foods and spicy foods should be avoided as well. This type of food has the potential to elevate blood pressure and cause bleeding after rhinoplasty surgery.

It’s also important to understand that narcotic pain relievers can cause nausea in the immediate post-operative period. For this reason, patients should advance their diet slowly to avoid unnecessary problems. 

Eating After Rhinoplasty

For the first day after surgery, you should focus on foods that are soft and more bland. Eating anything that can irritate your nose or stomach is not a good idea as it can disrupt the healing process. Within about a week, you can resume your normal diet but make sure to consult with your facial plastic surgeon for what's best with your specific healing process.

Carlo Honrado, MD, FACS

What Foods Should One Eat After Rhinoplasty

As with most surgical procedures liquids are allowed after nausea and vomiting subsides.
This is followed later by soft foods then the next day a regular diet without hard to chew foods.  It is a good idea to avoid aspirin and similar compounds and salty foods. Some fiber should be in the diet to promote normal bowel movements.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Light soft foods recommended after rhinoplasty

For the first day after surgery, keep it to a minimum with Jell-o, pudding and soups such as chicken noodle. The day of the surgery it is not advised to eat or drink anything for fear of nausea and vomiting after the anesthetic. If you are taking prescription pain medicine consider using a stool softener to prevent constipation. Within a week after the procedure it is acceptable to return to a normal diet.

What to eat after a rhinoplasty

I would suggest light foods for several days.  After this, you should be fine to eat anything you want.  Light foods right after your procedure should include protein shakes (as you suggested,) soups, ice cream, bananas, and gatorade for electrolytes.  Good luck!