Sleeping Position After Rhinoplasty?

Following Rhinoplasty, what position should you sleep in? Also, if you wind up on your back or side during the night, will that affect the development of your nose adversely and alter the results if even slightly?

Increasing comfort after rhinoplasty

+3

While keeping the head higher than your heart for the first few days post-op will probably minimize swelling, I also recommend it for comfort. When the nose is congested--as it will be after surgery--lying flat can sometimes make patients feel as if they're smothering.

It's doubtful that lying flat would cause any truly lasting harm, though. So if a patient is adamant about lying flat, I'd rather they get their sleep and rest than be up all night in an uncomfortable position.

I do caution them against lying on their side in a way that smooshes their cheek and face, since that could potentially shift repositioned nasal bones. I can't say that I've ever seen a bad result that was merely due to patient sleeping position, but it's prudent to minimize the chance.

--DCP

Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Suggested sleeping position after rhinoplasty

+2
It is suggested that a patient tries to keep their head above their heart simply to reduce swelling in the nose after a rhinoplasty. It is only a suggestion and is not crucial. Rolling over on a pillow will usually not dislodge it or make the nose crooked if the cast is in place. It is more important to get a good night of sleep than it is to worry about sleeping on three pillows versus two pillows.

Elevate Your Head Following Rhinoplasty

+1

It’s important to elevate the head following rhinoplasty to minimize post-operative swelling. We generally recommend sleeping in a recliner chair for two weeks following surgery. This prevents the patient from inadvertently rolling onto their side.

It’s important to avoid sleeping on the side because this can cause pressure on the nose and displacement of the nasal bones. After two weeks patients can resume sleeping in their bed. This approach minimizes the potential for complications and is associated with high patient satisfaction rates. 

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Sleeping After Rhinoplasty

+1

In general, one should consider sleeping with your head elevated for the first two weeks after any rhinoplasty or facial procedures such as head and neck, to minimize swelling post operatively.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Sleeping position after Rhinoplasty

+1

The most helpful position you can be in after rhinoplasty is upright. During the days spend most of the day in the sitting position and during the night sleep on your back with several pillows. This will help reduce the swelling significantly. 

Amir M. Karam, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

No long term effects

+1

The goal of head elevation and ice is to reduce swelling and bruising. Keeping your head elevated above your heart allows the swelling fluids to drain from the nose. Over time all of the swelling goes down and there will not be any permanent damage .

Richard L. Dolsky, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and Positioning

+1

I recommend to my patients that they for the first few nights they sleep with their head elevated above the level of the heart.  Sleeping with a few pillows will help decrease the swelling that would occur.

Hope that helps.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

You should always sleep upright the first 48 hours after your Rhinoplasty

+1

If you can tolerate it, sleeping upright will help your swelling go down even more after the first 48 hours. This allows gravity to help your swelling. Icing is also helpfiul. Sleeping with your head in the middle and not turned to one side or the other also keeps things symmetrical. To avoid swelling a course of steroids can help. Also avoiding blowing your nose and drinking hot or spicy liquids. Avoiding how showers and anything hot is a good idea as well. The time that you can get oozing and swelling is greatest the first 48 hours and then the first 7 days. After the first 7 days oozing goes down quite a bit. I hope this answers your question.

Thanks for reading!

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty sleeping position

+1

Early post-op, you are best off sleeping in an elevated position on your back. This will help with swelling.  Lying on your side may push on your nose a bit.

Rhinoplasty and Sleeping Position

+1

Hi Cali,

After rhinoplasty it is advised to keep your head (nose) elevated above your heart. That usually translates to 3 to 4 pillows. To facilitate staying on your back, you should place sand bags on either side of you, a spouse will work on one side (just kidding). You can place something on each side of you to help from turning onto your side or stomach.

Good luck, enjoy your new nose, and sweet dreams.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD