Sleeping Position After Rhinoplasty?

Following Rhinoplasty, what position should you sleep in? Also, if you wind up on your back or side during the night, will that affect the development of your nose adversely and alter the results if even slightly?

Increasing comfort after rhinoplasty

While keeping the head higher than your heart for the first few days post-op will probably minimize swelling, I also recommend it for comfort. When the nose is congested--as it will be after surgery--lying flat can sometimes make patients feel as if they're smothering.

It's doubtful that lying flat would cause any truly lasting harm, though. So if a patient is adamant about lying flat, I'd rather they get their sleep and rest than be up all night in an uncomfortable position.

I do caution them against lying on their side in a way that smooshes their cheek and face, since that could potentially shift repositioned nasal bones. I can't say that I've ever seen a bad result that was merely due to patient sleeping position, but it's prudent to minimize the chance.

--DCP

Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon