Is It Possible to Shave the Sides of Nasal Bone?

I understand this is done for bumps on the top of the nose. The bones on the side of my nose stick out and I would like to reduce them without losing the overall shape. I also don't want my nose to look like a stick; just more refined. Can this be done?

Shaving nasal bone vs. osteotomy

+3

Shaving the nasal bone generally achieves a subtle improvement only. The nasal bones just aren't that thick. When a significant hump is removed or a significant narrowing of the nose is needed, an osteotomy (insetting of the bones) is generally necessary.

Both techniques are valuable in different circumstances.

Sides of nasal bones not usually shaved.

+1

During a rhinoplasty procedure the corners and top of the nasal bones can be filed down, but the sidewalls are usually not filed. The sidewalls are usually narrowed through osteotomies, breaking of the nasal bones to set them in a new natural position. If the sidewalls are filed down too much they can be more easily fractured and weakened.

Shaving Nasal Bones

+1

Nasal bones can be shaved to subtly change the thickness of those bones. However, the increased width you're talking about is usually secondary to the shape or position of the bones, not their thickness. To change position, the bones would be fractured at their junction with the face; to change the contour the bones would be fractured closer to the bridge of your nose. It is best that you have a consultation, describe what you want to achieve, then consider your treatment alternatives.

Options to shave down the bumps on a nose.

+1

There are many ways to do this but it depends on the thicknes of the bones. Sometimes this is due to cartilage and not bone. You should meet with a surgeon to discuss your concerns. Certainly if you desire a conservative correction, express this to the surgon, to review your options

Shaving the sides of the nasal bones

+1

Usually the bony dorsum is rasped or shaved to remove bumps. If the edge is irregualr , then yes this can be shaved a bit.  It may however make the nose look wider.

Shaving the sides of nasal bone

+1

Dear Escape89 ,

Entire texts were written on how best to shape the nasal bones, so the confines of a brief response do not permit a full explanation.

The simplest way to think of Caucasian rhinoplasty is as one where we modify the pup-tent shaped bone and cartilage framework of the nose and the overlying skin then redrapes accordingly.

Osteotomies, the cuts in bones, are placed to produce a planned crack in the thin nasal bone as they are guided to a NARROWER closer together position, The shape of the boney nasal dome would dictate WHICH of several cuts are made with one of several chisels. The most common cuts are placed just above where the flatter maxilla send upward its maxillary extensions to join the nasal bones. Breaking the bones along the sides allows inward, medial movement and narrowing. Sometimes this is preceded by the use of medial osteotomies to allow further narrowing of the dorsum or of intermediate osteotomies to flatten any asymmetry or flaring of the nasal bones.

Remember - the mere fact that you required osteotomies does NOT mean you will have a "stick" for a nose. Osteotomies are but one tool in which we can gradually shape the nasal vault and is usually done well.

Some of the most famous Plastic Surgeons have been Kiwis, chief among them was the legendary Sir Harold D Gillies. I am SURE there are a lot of amazingly gifted colleagues of our in your country that you need not be dependent on what I or your colleagues have to say - Just seek a competent rhinoplasty surgeon in Auckland and you should do great.

Good Luck.

Visible nasal bones can be corrected with Rhinoplasty surgery.

+1

If the edges of your nasal bones are filed down, this may lead to a wider appearance of your nose. So a qualified, experienced Rhinoplasty surgeon would likely need to in-fracture your nasal bones at the time of surgery to correct an appearance that could be too wide.

I hope this helps, and best regards.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Narrowing the nasal bones

+1

Generally, the nasal bones will be infractured to narrow the upper part of the nose.  They are rather thin usually and shaving them down could destroy them. 

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Contouring of the nasal bones

+1

Instead of shaving the bones, the bones are usually broken incompletely to bring them closer together and narrow the width of the nose. Make sure you let your surgeon know that you don't want to narrow of a nose. The entire procedure can be done as an outpatient and is very well tolerated. Good luck!

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD

The nasal bones can be shaved in a subtle fashion

+1

Yes, the nasal bones can be shaved or rasped on the sides to narrow the width of your bridge. Osteotomies (re-setting or contolled fractiring) are also used to reduce the wideness of the nose, yet result in a natural look.

Edward J. Gross, MD
Orlando Facial Plastic Surgeon