Is It Safe to Have Rhinoplasty and Breast Augmentation at the Same Time?

Rhinoplasty and Breast Augmentation at once is safe if you are healthy

+3

It is safe to have Rhinoplasty and breast augmentation at the same time as long as the surgeon has the expertise in both surgeries. Prior to any surgery your health needs to be evaluated to make sure you are suited for surgery.

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and Breast Augmentation

+2

Not only is it appropriate to have rhinoplasty and breast augmentation at the same time, I would advise it. You will have only one operation and one recovery. Although we do not do breast augmentation, we have a surgeon who comes to our surgery center to do the augmentation when we do the rhinoplasty.

Combination procedures

+2

The combination of any procedures is safe as long as it's done within a safe time frame. Assuming that these two operations are done under a general anesthetic, as most Board Certified Plastic Surgeons do, then about 5 hours total is a rough average of what it will take to complete.

The sequence of these two operations you've mentioned is critical. The implant procedure should be first and the contaminated procedure (nose) should follow. Combining these operations is fully supported by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.

Best Wishes,

DoctorMeade

Ricardo A. Meade, MD

Breast and nose surgeries, a safe combination

+2

If you are healthy and capable of tolerating the procedures separately then you should be able to do both procedures together. The combined procedures should not take too much time and many would argue that it is better to do combined procedures under one anesthetic than doing two separate anesthesia events.

Best Wishes

Dr. Peterson

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and breast augmentation

+2

One of the worst things that can happen to you if you have a breast augmentation is an infection. This requires implant removal and re-insertion weeks to months later. It is a huge hole in the ground to fall into!

For that reason, I will never perform a rhinoplasty at the same time because you cannot sterilze the nose and bacteria can get into the blood stream and infect the implant potentially.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Rhinoplasty and Breast Augmentation Safe

+1
In general it is safe to have a rhinoplasty and breast augmentation at the same time. It is the standard of care for your Plastic Surgeon to use prophalactic (preventative) antibiotics perioperatively so the chance of infection is small. There may be a theoretical advantage to first do the rhinoplasty, then re-prep, drape, change gowns and gloves and instruments for the Breast Augmentation. 

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Rhinoplasty With Breast Augmentation

+1

Why not?  The patient is under anesthesia. Breast augmentation just takes an hour or so and a rhinoplasty usually the same amount of time. In anything under 4 hours with anesthesia is considered safe. Therefore, there should be no contra-indication to doing both.

John S. Poser, MD

Safe to have Rhinoplasty and Breast Augmentation at same time

+1

Indeed it is a safe procedure to undergo both operations at the same time. Just make sure that you have gone to a rhinoplasty surgeon who has performed thousands of rhinoplasties, as rhinoplasty is a much harder operation to perform than the breast augmentation.

Performing Combination Procedures -Rhinoplasty and Breast Augmentation is Safe

+1

Performing both Rhinoplasty and Breast Augmention is safe as a combination procedure if you do the following 5 things-

1. you are a Board- Certified Plastic Surgeon and trained and have expertise to do both

2. Perform them in less than 5 hours

3. Done in an accredited Outpatient Surgical Facility with a MD or CRNA for anesthesia

4. Use separate OR preps and separate OR instruments

5. Sequence is not important but I do the breast augmentation first and then the rhinoplasty - I give another dose of intraoperative antibiotics 30 minutes before beginning the rhinoplasty as some patients can have a bacteremial with rhinoplasty especially if one is doing a signficant amount of internal/septal work as well

The Key is to be safe and be able to deliver a good patient outcome when combining any cosmetic procedures.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Breast Enlargement Combined with other Cosmetic Procedures

+1

Yes, my surgery time would not exceed 3 hours and I see no problem with combining these two procedures as long as you are healthy.

According to the American Society of Surgery Journal combining cosmetic procedures in a reasonable period of time does not add any additional risk of complications to a cosmetic surgery. In my practice, more often than not, clients request more than one cosmetic procedure. The reasons are because they can take time off from work and recover from both surgeries within a weeks time and also the fees for surgery together are usually lower. The other advantages of combination surgeries is the idea of having general anesthesia one time and only having to give up your exercise routine which is usually 4 weeks one time. Please make sure you choose a board certified plastic surgeon who performs these two surgeries regularly and shares his before and after portfolio of clients which have had these procedures. The American Society of Plastic Surgeons has a website that can give you a list of qualified surgeons located in your area.

John Ward, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon