How to Fix Broken Nose Tip?

A seal on a package I was opening gave way easier than expected, thus "punching" myself in the nose with the back of my thumb squarely hitting the tip straight up. I heard a snap followed by tenderness for a few days.

A year later, I have seen some slight drooping and it has lost its sharpness in the tip which moves around easily. It is now bulbous looking with uneven bumps on top and aches. The little bones on the tip are uneven and I have an indention along the top. Is this fixable? I loved my nose! : (

Fixing broken nose tip

+1

As ALL the expert posters are recommending, take pre injury photos to 3 boarded rhinoplasty surgeons. There you can compare the appearance of your nose. It does sound like either a displaced tip cartilage or a fractured septum, you stated you heard a 'crack'. Most likely some type of surgical intervention will be needed. Regards.

Broken nasal tip can be repaired

+1

The tip cartilages themselves usually do not fracture. They can be displaced from the bone, become herniated inward and downward, creating airway resistance and obstruction. It all depends on which cartilages are involved with the injury so as to formulate a surgical plan of correction.

Web reference: http://www.seattlefacial.com

Broken Nasal Tip

+1

Your history and physical description are consistent with fractures of the cartilages of the nasal tip. It is reasonable to try to restore your pre-trauma nose. Take pictures of your nose prior to the accident to the surgeon to clarify what you want and establish appropriate goals.

Aching tip a year later? Diagnosis before treatment.

+1

If the tip is still aching a year after the injury, I'd be very hesitant to recommend any surgery before the source of the pain is determined. Neuromas and neuropathic pain syndromes can be aggravated by surgery. So while the tip may look better, the pain could be made worse.

I'd get a good diagnosis about the pain first, if it were me.

--DCP

Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal tip injury can be corrected through Rhinoplasty

+1

With an injury to the nasal tip it is possible that you fractured some of the cartilage perhaps of the septum. The loss of attachments in this area certainly can cause the tip to droop. This can only be corrected with a rhinoplasty procedure.

Rhinoplasty can fix your broken nasal tip

+1

When you say broken, it might be good to mention that there are actually no bones in the nasal tip. The nasal tip is made up of cartilages and your trauma to the nose could have caused the cartilages to be damaged. The drooping may have been caused by some of the caritlage loses its connections from elements that are higher up on the nose. The bulbous change could be from scar tissue. All of these changes though require quite a lot of force, so you must have hit your nose pretty hard. These changes can all be improved for you through rhinoplasty (nose job, rinoplasty, nose plastic surgery, nose cosmetic surgery, nose shaping, nose reshaping) and it will essentially require tip work and very likely no treatment to your nasal bones.

One question is whether you have closely looked at the pictures of yourself long before. Sometimes people notice things more after an event and attribute it to the event when it was really has been happening for a long time. This is just a thought though and all this could be from the trauma.

Hope that helps!

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose fracture: options for treating the nasal tip

+1

The structure in the tip of the nose is essentially determined by the caritlage (similar to gristle in meat). This has a rubber like consistency. Although it is possible to fracture the cartilage, this is very unusual and if it occurs usually effects the septum and not the lower lateral cartilages. Seek the evaluation of a qualified surgeon to determine your options.

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/rhinoplasty.html

Fixing a broken tip of the nose after trauma works

+1

What you describe is probably a combination of tip cartilage asymmetry and lack of support. See an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon to outline his plan for what you need. Make sure you think his work is good; see live patients he has done.

Rhinoplasty, How to Fix a Broken Tip?...Sounds Like the Old Bee Gees Song "How Do You Fix a Broken Heart?"

+1

Hi Castles,

It is possible to repair your injured nose. During your examination, qualified rhinoplasty surgeons will be able to diagnose what is causing the deformity that troubles you. Once the diagnosis is made, a surgical plan can be outlined to achieve your cosmetic goals.

Most likely the nose that you loved in the past can be restored. Choose your rhinoplasty surgeon most carefully.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Fixing a Nasal Tip Trauma

+1

A photograph would have helped enormously in addressing YOUR nose specifically.

Barring that, a trained nose surgeon could diagnose what took place by looking at and feeling your nasal tip. A customized rhinoplasty could then be performed to make your nose look as close as possible to the way it used to look.

Dr. P. Aldea

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.