Would Restylane on Nasolabial Fold Affect Rhinoplasty?

I'm considering getting Restylane in nasolabial folds, but am also interested in Rhinoplasty in 2 months.

The Rhinoplasty would include alar base reduction. I'm just wondering if I should hold off on the filler, as I am concerned that the 'plane' for the new nostril positioning would be altered. Do you have any experience with Rhinoplasty and nasolabial fillers? thank you.

Rhinoplasty & Restylane in Nasolabial Folds

+1

Rhinoplasty is not affected by injections around the perioral nasolabial fold area or even in the periapical base area. It does not have an affect on rhinoplasty.

Restylane for nasolabial folds should not affect rhinoplasty

+1

Restylane for the nasolabial folds can be done even if considering rhinoplasty a few months after. The rhinoplasty will address cartilaginous skin and bone of the nose, while Restylane is filler placed in the nasolabial folds for augmentation of these independently.

Restylane on nasolabial fold

+1

Injecting Restylane into the nasolabial folds before or after should have no effect on rhinoplasty. I have never injected Restylane into the nasolabial folds during a rhinoplasty. There may be no adverse effects in doing so; however, Restylane may produce a subcutaneous inflammatory response that may be undesirable in the region of the nose when rhinoplasty is performed.

Sigmund L. Sattenspiel, MD
Freehold Facial Plastic Surgeon

Filler after rhinoplasty

+1

There's no hard and fast answer here, but from my perspective:

1) Don't do the filler during surgery. That adds unnecessary time under anesthesia.

2) Since the rhinoplasty is the more complicated and permanent procedure, I'd usually recommend doing it first. After the majority of the swelling has resolved (say, 6 weeks post-op), then the nasolabial folds could be filled in.

3) For the nasolabial folds, I tend to prefer Radiesse (longer lasting) and sometimes Artefill (a permanent filler).

Hope this helps,

--DCP

David C. Pearson, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Restylane injections and Rhinoplasty surgery

+1

Properly placed Restylane injections will not change the alar base. I prefer not to do both at the same time. Filler injections are a relatively easy procedure and therefore can be done before or after the rhinoplasty. Consider Radiesse injections in the nasolabial grooves, which I prefer.

Get the Restylane after Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi,

I would wait to get the restylane till after the rhinoplasty. Besides distortion of the nostril, you will have inflammation around your nose, which may decrease the longevity of the Restylane.

Best of Luck!

Dr.S.l

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Restylane and Rhinoplasty are safe to combine

+1

I can't see why these 2 procedures couldn't be combined. Even with an alar base reduction, the aesthetics of the nasolabial fold are (mostly) distinct from the nose.

However, if you were my patient, I would probably separate the Rhinoplasty and the Restylane. The swelling from one might affect the fine performance of the other. The injection of Restylane, in particular, is so routine in my office, that I would feel very comfortable completing your rhinoplasty, and then doing the Restylane 2-3 months later under local anesthesia.

Just my thoughts. You should OK no matter what you choose.

Michael C. Pickart, MD
Ventura Plastic Surgeon

Facial fillers with a rhinoplasty is ok

+1

Hi Hellokitty777 - You should be fine getting the fillers with a rhinoplasty. I frequently combine the two, and to help minimize pain the fillers can be placed while you're asleep for the rhinoplasty if you'd like. If not, you can separate them by 2 months as you indicated and the alar base reduction should not interfere with the fillers to the nasolabial folds. Good luck!

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

No

+1

I don't see that this shoud present a problem in the planning or performance of the nasal surgery.  The aesthetics of the nasolabial fold wont interfere.

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Rhinoplasty recommended to be done before nasolabial fold injections

+1

While it is probably OK to do both at the same time, I would probably recommend that the rhinoplasty be performed first to avoid any interaction from the injections of the folds.