How Much Difference Will Reducing Bulbous Nose Tip Make?

Hi. I am considering getting Rhinoplasty (a "nose job") done to reduce the "bulbous-ness" at the tip of my nose. However, I am worried that I will look totally different to what I look like now.

Is it possible to get surgery, without looking like a totally different person after? Also, comments on my nose are welcome!

Reducing a bulbous nasal tip

The tip of the nose can certainly be slimmed down. The goal with conservative surgery is to maximize the result while noe causing changes that appear done or feminized.

Also important with the tip is to leave enough cartilage on the sides of the nose so it does not collapse or look pinched; or if the cartilage is not correct, to corrrect it.

You seem to have irregularities and asymmetries that might best be addressed with an open rhinoplasty.

Nose shouldn't look totally different after good Rhinoplasty

Hi Daniel,

Typically after a good rhinoplasty, it should not look totally different. As a matter of fact, most people will not notice unless you tell them.

The best way for you to know what the outcome will be is to get computer imaging. This helps the patient see what his nose will look like after the surgery.

Reducing the bubosity of your nose may be achieved by simply restructuring your tip cartilages and rotating your tip. To evaluate your profile I would have to see it.

All the Best,

Dr. S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Bulbous nasal tip surgery

Surgery to reduce the bulbosity of the tip of the nose is a very rewarding procedure. However, in general, it can take up to a year or two to see the final results of tip reduction so patience is also required. How much you narrow the tip of nose depends upon personal preferences, however, in men I typically recommend avoiding a boxy or pinched tip since that tends to feminize the nose or make it look created. Also, refinement should match the profile which more pictures would be necessary to assess that. Finally, a masculine nasal tip typically is still strong and is not overly rotated upward but lifted up some as your frontal view shows it to be hanging. I hope this information helps.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty...Reducing the Bulbous Tip While Maintaining Your Identity

Hi Daniel,

Yes, it is possible to have rhinoplasty, addressing the "offending parties" (as one of my Brit patients termed it) without drastically changing the rest of your nose. You can reduce the "bulbous-ness" (the offending party in your case), and still look like yourself (you will not need to re-introduce yourself to family and friends at the next party).

By refining your nasal tip, most likely the upper 1/3 of your nose will also need a subtle degree of refining as well. This can be accomplished with precise rasping. The key is choosing your rhinoplasty surgeon most carefully.

See the below web reference for further information on subtle rhinoplasty.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tip rhinoplasty

As has been said, a proper evaluation of your nose requires a full set of non-smiling photos.  However, a tip rhinoplasty done by an experienced surgeon should be able to refine your tip without feminizing you.  Seek a few consultations with well qualified surgeons and ask their advice. 

Most patients still look like themselves after rhinoplasty

Rhinoplasty should refine a nose but in most cases not make patients look dramatically different than before surgery. Radical changes can be made but are not usually necessary. What I find is that most patients go back to work and co-workers often don't notice they had surgery. Once people get to know you, they really don't study your face, once they see you its about recognition. One of the best comments I hear goes along the lines of "I saw an old friend from high school and they asked if I lost weight or changed my hairdo."

As for the photo you posted, it is difficult to fully evaluate the tip of your nose without non smiling, 3/4 and profile views. I suggest you seek out a qualified rhinoplasty specialist for an opinion on what you really need.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Tip Rhinoplasty for Bulbous Tip

A Nose Job (Rhinoplasty) is the most customizable operation in Plastic surgery. no one has the same nose and everyone has different things they wish changed on their widely different noses.

You have large and asymmetric lower lateral cartilages (more convex on the left) with what appears to be flaring. The tip can be refined, but you need to ask your surgeon not to make it too narrow or feminine. In itself that would give you the nose I THINK you are asking about.

In your case all you have to do is consult an experienced BAPS surgeon and tell him what bothers you and what you want. As such your face will not be transformed into a Michael Jackson meets Dorian Gray type nose - the kind the media loves to stoke the fears of the populace with.

Dr. P. Aldea

Rhinoplasty to Reduce Bulbous Tip

Reducing a bulbous tip has the potential to change the entire appearance of your nose. Because the tip is essentially at the center of the nose, this type of rhinoplasty is designed to refine and improve by making a large tip less noticeable. However, that being said, your rhinoplasty will not necessarily make you look completely different. A good surgeon will specify your surgery to your needs and wants, designing your new nose to complement your features and to fit in with the rest of your face.

Sam Rizk, MD

Bulbous tip

As long as the rhinoplasty is done well, it will not make you look like a totally different person.  This is because the nose should not stand-out on a person's face.  It should fit in well with the other structures and not draw attention to itself.  When you notice beautiful faces, it is normally because of their eyes, lips, bone structure, etc.  It is never because they have a beautiful nose.  The nose can only stand out and detract from otherwise pleasing features.  See a rhinoplasty specialist who can give you a detailed examination and make a recommendation to get the nose you are hoping for.

Sirius K. Yoo, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bulbous Nasal Tip

Hi Dan.  Reduction of a bulbous nasal tip is a feasible rhinoplasty maneuver.  

In my opinion, you may wish to visit with several surgeons and look at their before and after photos.  This will allow you to assess the degree of change after rhinoplasty for a bulbous tip.

Anand G. Shah, MD
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon