Best Remedy for Swelling After Tumescent Liposuction?

What is the best thing to do after Tumescent Liposuction for swelling?

Time

+4

The swelling after tumescent liposuction really shouldn't be that bad if you are wearing an appropriately tight garment. Immediately after surgery I use Topi foam to add compression and significantly reduce swelling. This is worn for two days then the foam is removed and the garment is worn for 6 weeks. If you're wearing a good garment the swelling should be fully gone in 2 weeks. Remember your dietary intake also contributes to the swelling so watch the amount of salt you ingest.

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after Liposuction?

+3

Swelling is part of the healing process.  I ask my liposuction patients to wear a compression garment for 4 weeks post op surgery to help with the swelling.  The swelling can take months to subside and even longer for skin to “redrape".  At that point you will see the final results. 

Best Wishes.

Tumescent Lipo

+3

Compression and avoidance of too much activity; a good diet, free of high sodium and fast food. Thank you for your question and good luck with everything.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

How to control swelling after tumescent liposuction

+3

It is very important to wear a good compression garment for at least 6 weeks. It would also help to start arnica montana prior to surgery and continue as directed. You need to be careful of not over doing things, your body is going to tell you if you are. If you notice you are starting to get swelling, it is time to get off your feet. Either sit or lie down and elevate your legs.

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

Swelling after tumescent liposuction

+3

Wear your compression garment as instructed by your surgeon, and be patient. Remember that in the beginning, although fat has been removed, you will have swelling just like with any surgical procedure. You should be active, but too much activity early on could bring on more swelling. The results after liposuction gradually improve over weeks, even months.

Douglas J. Mackenzie, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Most swelling is very temporary and requires no treatment

+3

Most swelling after tumescent liposuction is very temporary and requires no treatment.

However, some people are more prone to swelling and it may take a few days to disapate.

An injection of Celstone (cortisone) may be necessary in unusual cases. The most important thing to do is to wear a compression garment for one to two weeks after the procedure.

William P. Coleman III, MD
Metairie Dermatologic Surgeon

Wear your compression garments and drink plenty of fluids.

+2
It’s normal to notice some swelling after tumescent liposuction, partially as the result of any remaining tumescent solution that’s still present in the tissue. The body also swells as part of the natural healing response. Wearing your compression garment should help expel excess fluids faster. It’s also a good idea to drink plenty of clear fluids (water or herbal tea, not soda or coffee) and avoid high-sodium and salty foods. Eating lots of fresh fruits and vegetables and staying mildly active to promote healthy circulation are also key for keeping swelling to a minimum after lipo.

Glenn M. Davis, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Compression is key to swelling after liposuction

+2

Liposuction will cause a bruise over a large area and the key to controlling swelling is a well fitted compression garment. Initially the garment will be very tight as it keeps swelling under control, and will noticeable loosen as you progress in your recovery. As the garment become looser we transition to a very snug Spanx which is more comfortable for daily wear and work.

peterejohnsonmd

Remedy for swelling after liposuction

+2

Patients who receive liposuction should anticipate a significant amount of swelling and bruising after their surgery. In our practice, all patients received a very sturdy compression garment that squeezes the skin onto the underlying muscle in a smooth fashion. We also advise their patients to try to keep the area that has received liposuction elevated as much as possible. Limiting their salt intake in their diet can also help. But again, the most important factor is using the compression garment as much as possible. Our patients use the garment for 4 to 6 months after their surgery.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Swelling after liposuction can be related to activity level

+1
I've noticed that my tumescent liposuction patients tend to have prolonged swelling when they return to exercise activities quickly after surgery. This varies based on the individual, so there is no real recommendation I can give except that one should wear their compressive garment more often than not for at least 6 weeks after the procedure.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS