How Much Does Tumescent Liposuction Cost?

Is tumescent liposuction less expensive than traditional forms of lipo? I would guess so because the cost of anesthesia must be lower... have I assumed correctly?

Cost of Tumescent Lipo vs Traditional Lipo

Tumescent liposuction is usually more expensive than traditional liposuction because of the technique involved. It is using local anesthesia to numb up the areas which is much safer than the old method of using general anesthesia for liposuction. Also, most doctors who do tumescent anesthesia are also using the micro cannulas which are much smaller instruments to suck the fat out. The smaller the instrument, then the smoother the result but the more work it takes for the doctor. Since you are comfortable, you don't mind the extra time involved to suck the fat out through these small cannulas since you know you are going to get a far superior result and that is what everyone wants: Better Results!

Doctors who are stuck in the stone age who still do liposuction under general anesthesia are most likely still using the larger cannulas also, and therefore are giving only so-so results. I like to stand the patients up and sit them up and turn them in different positions during the surgery to be able to fine-tune the results. This is why being awake is so important. When you are lying down on the table asleep, you know your stomach goes flat and shifts to the sides. Under general anesthesia, you can't see what you are doing very well. When they are awake and can assist you, you get better results when you finesse the areas by observing the patient in different positions and you fix the areas right then. This is why it is more expensive for the tumescent technique lipo with micro canulas but it is so worth it.

Good Luck.

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Cost of tumescent liposuction

The tumescent method produces excellent results, I find it so superior to conventional methods that I perform it on all my patients. I do not charge more for it because it is worth the additional effort to produce optimal results. Cost of liposuction varies depending upon the areas, extent of fat to be removed and anesthesia costs. I perform mini-suction and chin suction under local anesthesia but prefer sedation for larger cases to achieve patient comfort and safety.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Cost of Liposuction

Thank you for your question. According to real self the average cost for liposuction is about $6000. With that said costs will vary significantly based on many factors. How many areas are treated, whether or not you are getting general anesthesia, what type of facility it is being done in all influential final cost. My best advice is that you get what you pay for. Don't be mislead by cheap lipo. Always look to make sure your surgeon is board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and the work is being done in an accredited facility. Good luck

John Mancoll, MD
Virginia Beach Plastic Surgeon

Thanks for the question. When it comes to costs of surgery, there may be many “variables” involved. The specific surgeon's credentials/experience level (or lack thereof), the specific geographic area you are looking at, the different operations available, the location of the procedure (quality of surgery facility), type/quality of anesthesia provider… are some of the potential variables involved.  You will find some average costs of surgery on this website and on individual plastic surgeons' websites as well.

In regards to outcome of the planned procedure, more important than costs of the procedures will be careful selection of your plastic surgeon. I would suggest starting with the American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.

Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. Ask to SEE lots of examples of their work AND preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.

Be very careful with your decision-making. You will find, while doing your due diligence, that there are many different “specialties” who will offer their services to you; again, I strongly recommend you concentrate on surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Again, I would also suggest that you do not base your selection of plastic surgeon primarily on costs of surgery; keep in mind that revisionary surgery may be more costly in many ways.  Best wishes.

Tumescent liposuction cost

The cost of tumescent liposuction depends on the number of areas treated and the cost of anesthesia.  Most cases can be performed in an outpatient setting with local anesthesia. 

DR. Karamanoukian 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Compare costs very carefully

Often it is not the best approach to find the cheapest plastic surgeon. Does the surgeon specialize in this procedure? What are their credentials? How long have they been in practice? What percentage of their practice is cosmetic surgery? How many of these surgeries have they performed? Do they use the latest techniques? What do their results look like? Do they have photos to show of their work? Do they provide follow-up themselves, or will you only see the nurses (or even just an assistant)? Are they available by phone for an emergency or does one of their staff answer after-hour calls? What is the impression you get from their office and staff? Are they professional and informative? Do they know what they are talking about? You need to ask yourself all of these questions.

The prices can vary from state to state, and city to city. We charge for liposuction per area. The abdomen (upper and lower side to side) is one area. The waist (from the ribs to just above the buttocks from side to side around the back) is one area. The thighs (both inner and outer) is one area. Our costs, including the board certified plastic surgeon's fees, board certified anesthesiologist's fees, operating room, labs, garment, vitamins, and follow-up at 1 day, 1 week, 1 month, 3 months 6 months, and every year after forever, are listed below. If you need more follow-up appointments, those are free as well. The cost per area does go down as you add more areas:

One area: cost per area around $5000. Two areas: cost per area round $3200. Three areas: cost per area around $2500

When comparing quotes from different doctors, check to make sure that the costs you are quoted are for the same thing! For instance, often the cost per area is quoted as lower, yet the abdomen is comprised of upper and lower, and sometimes even lateral areas (2 to 4 areas for the abdomen, instead we consider the entire abdomen one area) or the thighs are inner and outer (2 areas when we consider the thighs one area). Make sure you are comparing apples to apples. Also check to see what type of anesthesia and facility you are going to be treated in. If the total price is lower but you are not going to receive proper anesthesia from a board certified anesthesiologist, then are you getting a better deal (or inferior treatment)? If the facility is not a certified outpatient surgery center but is an in-office procedure room, is the difference in safety worth the cost reduction? If the doctor is not a board certified plastic surgeon, is that worth the discount in the fees? I would say the answer to all three of these questions is no!

This is your body, make sure you are making decisions based on the quality of care, the experience and training of the doctor, and proven results. Cost alone should not be the deciding factor.

Tumescent liposuction cost schemes vary

Tumescent liposuction is safe an effective for body contouring. Tumescent lipo cost schemes can vary based on patient BMI, number of areas treated and other factors.

Tumescent liposuction

Tumescent liposuction can be done using just local anesthesia or under general anesthesia.  Typically, there is more cost with general anesthesia. What type of anesthesia used is best discussed between you and your surgeon.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction in the Midwest, US: $2,700-$3,600

It’s often assumed that tumescent liposuction using only local anesthesia is less expensive than traditional liposuction because general anesthesia is not utilized.  In the vast majority of cases, this approach is more expensive because operative times are longer and this represents a significant source of expense.

The term tumescent liposuction appears to mean different things to different physicians based on their surgical backgrounds.  The term tumescent means to engorge, and tumescent liposuction involves infusing fluid into the anatomic area that will be undergoing liposuction.  This fluid contains epinephrine, which minimizes bleeding and local anesthetic which helps with post-operative pain relief.  When this approach is utilized the technique can be performed in some cases without general anesthesia.  Many surgeons prefer general anesthesia when they utilize tumescent technique because break through pain can occur when local anesthesia is used alone.

Tumescent liposuction costs vary and are dependent upon multiple factors.  These include the surgeon’s fee, facility fee, anesthesia charges and location of the procedure.  Tumescent liposuction and traditional liposuction have similar cost if other variables are constant.

In the Midwestern United States, liposuction fees range from $2,700 to $3,600 per anatomic area.  This would typically include the surgeons fee, facility fee, anesthesia charges and after care.

Cost is obviously important, but it’s also important to be comfortable with the surgeons experience and qualifications.  Make sure you get your questions answered and are comfortable with your surgeon.

Tumescent Lipo

Tumescent takes longer than a general and this negates the cost savings.  The cost is similar, but you do not have to recover from general anesthesia, but you may feel a little pain with the procedure.  It is tolerable, but both have pluses and minuses.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon