Wearing Compression Garment After Tumescent Liposuction?

How long should you wear compression garments? I am having a lot of swelling if I don't wear one. Its been 19 days since the procedure. What should I do to decrease swelling and water retention?

Compression garment after tumescence liposuction and liposculpting with #DrMarcDuPere #Toronto plastic surgeon

+3
Thank you for your question regarding tumescence liposuction and garment.

There is no formal rule for the garment but most of us plastic surgeons recommend wearing the garment for about 4 weeks.  But you can remove it daily, starting 5-7 days post-op, for shower purposes.  That is what I do with my #Toronto patients at Visage Clinic.  It helps with the swelling and bruising and provide you with some pain control as it 'splints' the treated areas.

One has to be careful though as too tight a garment can produce permanent indentations and serious swelling beyond the garment edges.

I always provide my Toronto patients with 2 garments so you can wash one and still have one to wear.

Those garments do not go in the washing machine:  hand-wash and hang to dry.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

Dr. Marc DuPere, Toronto plastic surgeon

Voted TOP plastic surgery Clinic in Toronto for 2013 and 2014 by @TopChoiceAwards

Voted TOP Cosmetic Clinic in Toronto for 2014 by @TopChoiceAwards

visageclinic.com/patient-resources/media.cfm

Compression Garment after SAL

+2

I advise my patient to wear the compression garment for 24 hours a day for the first 2 weeks after surgery and 12 hours a day for the next 2 weeks after surgery. The compression garment will help with the swelling and also with skin tightening. At this point you may look into getting lymphatic massage as the garment will probably not help much. Also, I would advise you to decrease your activity level because this can lead to more swelling during the recovery period. Good luck.

Kenneth Bermudez, MD

Compression garments speed up recovery after liposuction

+2

kimathomek,

Compression garments prevent excessive swelling right after surgery, and then work to speed up the recovery by speeding up resorption of tissue fluid (swelling).  They also help to contour the liposuctioned areas.  In addition to garments we also instruct our patients to massage all liposuctioned areas.  Initially you will have some lumps, which need to be massaged.  These lumps are a combination of swelling, scarring, and residual fat.  This needs to be massaged to smooth out.  Think of it as clay, which you want to smooth out before it dries and hardens.  We recommend that our patients continue massage for up to three months for ideal results

Sincerely,

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Compression and rest

+1
I suggest that the patients wear a compression garment for at least 6 weeks after liposuction.  If you minimize your physical activity and wear compression that would be the best ways to reduce the swelling.

Gary Lawton, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Compression garment after tumescent liposuction

+1

You should ask your surgeon about this, however I generally recommend patients wear their compression garment day and night for 3 weeks then another 3 weeks during the day only. Reduce salt intake and drink plenty of fluids to encourage going to the washroom regularly. This can help.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Compression garment

+1
I recommend my patients wear the compression garment day and night for the first 4 weeks, and then during the day for 2 more weeks, unless the areas treated was small.  The garment aids in controlling the swelling, assist with skin tightening, and does make it feel better. Massage can also help with controlling swelling.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Compression Garments Following Liposuction

+1

Patients who undergo tumescent liposuction can expect swelling and discomfort following this procedure.  In an effort to decrease swelling, most surgeons utilize compression garments in the post- operative period.  Although each patient should be considered individually, we generally recommend three to four weeks of compression following liposuction.

Compression minimizes swelling and decreases post-operative pain.  It helps to remodel the soft tissue by collapsing tunnels created by the liposuction cannula during the procedure.  Compression contributes significantly to the contour improvement seen with this procedure.

Swelling and water retention following tumescent liposuction can be reduced with compression massage, exercise and low salt diets.  These maneuvers ultimately improve the post-operative experience by minimizing swelling and discomfort following this procedure.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Compression garments after liposuction

+1

Compression garments help to control the post op swelling. I advise my patients to wear them 24x7 for 4 weeks, and for 12 hours over the next 4 weeks. Our post op protocol also involves anti inflammatory / anti edema meds for a week post op & lymphatic massage. The massage sessions are started after 7-10 days following the procedure.

Sameer Karkhanis, MD
India Plastic Surgeon

Wearing compression garment after liposuction

+1

I generally advise my patients to wear the compression garment for 6 weeks after liposuction.  I am also a big fan of lymphatic drainage massage to help decrease swelling, but I advise speaking with your surgeon to get his or her recommendations.

Andrew Jimerson, MD

Tumescent Lipo

+1

You should plan on a good six to eight weeks of use. Thank you for your question and good luck with everything.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon