Qualifications of a Surgeon for Rhinoplasty Procedure?

I am considering a rhinoplasty proceedure. I have looked into an ent surgeon and also a surgeon that has an oral and maxillo facial background. Both are certified by the american board of platic surgery. Who would be better at this proceedure? I am mainly focusing on the tip part of my nose for this proceedure as it is quit bulbous. I do not have a large bump on my nose. I do understand that i still may need my nasal bones broken even if i am mainly conserned about my tip. Thanks! :)

Experience counts

+3

I would suggest a surgeon that does a lot of rhinoplasty.  Look at lots of before and after photos to get a feel for the quality of their work.  Board Certification by The American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, The American Board of Otolaryngology, The American Board of Cosmetic Surgery, or The American Board of Plastic Surgery is recommended.  Warmest regards.

Dr. Pippin

Metairie Facial Plastic Surgeon

Who is best qualified to perform a rhinoplasty?

+2

You have entered into an area of debate--who knows how to best perform a rhinoplasty? Qualified surgeons may be trained in ENT and facial plastic surgery, general plastic surgery, or maxillofacial surgery. How does one decide? Just being accredited by some society doesn't necessarily mean they are a skilled surgeon. Your best bet is to talk to patients who have had surgery by these doctors, and look at their before and after photos. Make sure the doctor understands what your goals are from surgery. That is the only way you can decide which surgeon better suits your neeeds.

Theda C. Kontis, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

+2

Both appear very qualified. Than you must rely upon your personal feelings and ask yo met some rhino patients of each. 

Searching for qualified rhinoplasty surgeon

+2

it sounds like you found two good surgeon, especially if they are "double Board certified". Just make sure by checking with the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS).

Ronald Schuster, MD

Board certification and rhinoplasty

+2

If both surgeons are board certified plastic surgeons, they are both qualified.  AS for quality of work, you should see their photos, talk to patients, speak to their staff, and feel comfortable with the doctor.

Rhinoplasty surgeon qualifications

+2

Hi Christy, if you start with board certification by the American Board of Plastic Surgery you will have a good start.  Discuss your goals and desires with your surgeon and make sure you have a good channel of communication.  Photo galleries can be helpful but remember they are selected photos so it is not a full representation of possible results.  Make sure you have expressed your desired goals clearly and they have been understood.  Use photos to show the type of shape and appearance you are hoping for.

Best Wishes

Dr. Peterson

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and Board Certification

+2
  • If the 2 surgeons you have seen are both certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, then you can be sure that they have had at least 5 years of rigorous training and have been subjected to and passed a very rigorous certification process. 
  • This means that they have certainly learned the rhinoplasty operation.  Whether they are the right surgeon for you, is a different matter. If they have extensive experience, excellent communication skills, a well run, organized office, and you feel you relate well with them, then they are both surgeons to consider.  You have to do your homework and go with your instincts.
  • Whether the surgeon has trained in Plastic Surgery or ENT matters less than their experience and results.

Michael Suzman, MD

The best surgeon for your Rhinoplasty

+2

Honestly, I would recommend a surgeon that has extensive experience.  You should view their photo galleries not just for of course the quality of their results, but also quantity- that they have performed this procedure enough to give them a good amount of experience.

-Dr. Michael Salzhauer, Rhinoplasty Specialist

Michael Salzhauer, MD

Best surgeon for rhinoplasty

+1

Choose a board certified plastic surgeon or an ENT facial plastic surgeon. Make sure they perform many rhinoplasties per year and look at their before/after photos. Ask about pre op imaging as well.

Kurtis Martin, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Yes, board certification is important in selecting a surgeon, but don't stop there.

+1

It is unusual (but certainly not impossible) to find an ENT surgeon and an oral surgeon who are also certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  You may want to double check that because the boards do sound very similar.  I would recommend that your surgeon be board certified by either the American Board of Plastic Surgery (mainly plastic surgeons) or the American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (mainly ENT surgeons with extra training in facial cosmetic surgery).  If your surgeon happens to be from Canada, he or she may have the Royal College of Surgeons certification, which is deemed to be equivalent.

However, don't stop there.  Just making sure your surgeon is board-certified is not enough.  You need to know that he or she is very experienced in cosmetic rhinoplasty.  Also, be sure to view many before and after photos of tip rhinoplasties that your surgeon has done.  If you like the results, you are much more likely to be happy with the results of your own tip rhinoplasty.  If not, keep looking.  For your reference, I have included a linke to this part of my website.

Eric Swanson, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon