Is This Ptosis? And is It Fixable Without Surgery?

I can't really figure out if the problem with my eyelid is caused by my lazy eye (although I had surgery to correct that when I was younger) or some type of ptosis. I feel like I look drowsy and spaced out all the time because of my droopy eyelid. I attached a picture because I'm not sure if this is ptosis at all. I don't want to get a surgery unless it will make my eyelids look the same size. I would also like to know if there are any alternatives to an eyelid surgery.

Ptosis

+2

Yes, you do have ptosis on the left side. It is easily correctable and should be successful at restoring symmetry to your eyes. There really aren't any non surgical options.

Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Yes you do have ptosis

+1

You need to be seen by a plastic surgeon with experience in treating eyelid problems. From your picture ( important to note physical examination is required) you have ptosis in your left eye and because your brain is attempting to lift your eyelid as much as possible, you have overcompensation of your right eyelid, causing widening of the vertical dimension. There is no medical treatment for this, you will need surgery.

Good luck

Victor M. Perez, MD, FACS
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Is this eyelid ptosis, or a "droopy" eyelid?

+1

You may very well have eyelid ptosis on one side, but it is difficult to tell from this picture.  An examination would be needed to determine.  Often, one eyelid may actually have ptosis, but taping up the opposite lid during the exam may be necessary to unmask it. Best to see a plastic surgeon who has oculoplastic training or an oculoplastic eye doctor. Good luck.

Dean Fardo, MD

Not Ptosis.

+1

It appears that you have some component of eyelid retraction.  Your issue to complicated to discuss via a blog.  I would recommend you see a couple of board certified plastic surgeons and board certified oculoplastic surgeons.  There are couple of excellent plastic surgeons in the Marietta and Paces Ferry area you should see. There are a couple of excellent oculoplastic surgeons in the Northside Hospital area.  This where you should start.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Asymmetric upper lids and ptosis

+1

The photo you provided does show asymmetric upper lid creases, but there does not seem to be significant drooping of the lid (ptosis). However, often a high upper lid crease is a sign of a weakness of the upper lid ligaments (levator aponeurosis) and this may not have been captured by your photograph.  I suggest you see an ophthalmologist for a complete evaluation.

Theda C. Kontis, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

Maybe medial lid mild ptosis. See plastic eye specialists. There are possible medication drops that could help this. Or you may need a very minor levator repair. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl J. Blinski 3054 598 0091

Nonsurgical ptosis repair

+1

There are nonsurgical options to address ptosis but they are temporary.  They include Botox and Fillers, placed in strategic locations to allow eyelid elevation or lowering.

Dr Taban

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Asymmetric Eyelid Repair

+1

It is somewhat difficult to tell from the picture. However, it appears that the eyelid crosses the iris at the same place on each side. This would mean that you do not have ptosis. There is a difference on the fullness of the eyelids, however. The right is much fuller than the left. The left looks almost sunken. If this is the case, then injection with a filler or fat on the left should solve the problem. See a Plastic Surgeon who specializes in facial rejuvenation, including the eyes and injection.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Sagging Upper Eyelid - Surgery or No Surgery?

+1

Regarding:  "Is This Ptosis? And is It Fixable Without Surgery?

I can't really figure out if the problem with my eyelid is caused by my lazy eye (although I had surgery to correct that when I was younger) or some type of ptosis. I feel like I look drowsy and spaced out all the time because of my droopy eyelid. I attached a picture because I'm not sure if this is ptosis at all. I don't want to get a surgery unless it will make my eyelids look the same size. I would also like to know if there are any alternatives to an eyelid surgery
."

The eye on the Right side of the screen (? your left eye), shows mild lid sagging and a much higher tarsal fold than the other eye. This could be due to failure of development of the Levator muscle attachment to the skin AND eye lid cartilage (tarsal plate) OR due to disruption of the operation you had as a child.

I would consult with either a Plastic surgeon who specializes in eyelid surgery or an Eye surgeon who specializes in eyelid surgery and be thoroughly evaluated. Depending on your examination you may or may not need an examination. But that SHOULD be your first step.

Dr. Peter Aldea