Is This Ptosis? And is It Fixable Without Surgery?

I can't really figure out if the problem with my eyelid is caused by my lazy eye (although I had surgery to correct that when I was younger) or some type of ptosis. I feel like I look drowsy and spaced out all the time because of my droopy eyelid. I attached a picture because I'm not sure if this is ptosis at all. I don't want to get a surgery unless it will make my eyelids look the same size. I would also like to know if there are any alternatives to an eyelid surgery.

Ptosis

Yes, you do have ptosis on the left side. It is easily correctable and should be successful at restoring symmetry to your eyes. There really aren't any non surgical options.

Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Ptosis Options

Although it is possible that you may have some ptosis of the left upper eyelid, it is difficult to tell from this picture.  Typically, if you have ptosis in one eye, the eye brow on the same side subconsciously raises higher to compensate for this drooping in order to try to pull the eyelid up higher.  This often creates the asymmetric appearance of more skin showing in the upper eyelid area.  Without seeing your brow position, it is difficult to tell if this is the case here.

Ptosis is generally best addressed with surgery, either performed through the inside or the outside part of the eyelid, depending on the type of ptosis and the function of the muscles that lift your eyelid.  There are some non-surgical options such as Botox that can give some temporary improvement in some cases, but these injections are advanced techniques that can cause additional issues with drooping or asymmetry if not done correctly.  Consult with an Oculoplastic surgeon for a full workup and appropriate diagnosis of your condition.  Then, the best treatment plan can be discussed.

Gregory D. Lewen, MD, FACS
Miami Oculoplastic Surgeon

Tarsal levator advancement is an excellent option for ptosis surgery

Thank you for your photographs.  It certainly would be possible to perform an open approach in order to repair her eyelid and make it more symmetric compared to the opposite side.  This would involve advancing some of the natural tissue that elevates the eyelid into a better spot. It is important to chose a board certified plastic surgeon or oculoplastic surgeon who has extensive experience in repair of eyelid ptosis.  Best of luck, Dr. Pacella

Yes you do have ptosis

You need to be seen by a plastic surgeon with experience in treating eyelid problems. From your picture ( important to note physical examination is required) you have ptosis in your left eye and because your brain is attempting to lift your eyelid as much as possible, you have overcompensation of your right eyelid, causing widening of the vertical dimension. There is no medical treatment for this, you will need surgery.

Good luck

Victor M. Perez, MD, FACS
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Is this eyelid ptosis, or a "droopy" eyelid?

You may very well have eyelid ptosis on one side, but it is difficult to tell from this picture.  An examination would be needed to determine.  Often, one eyelid may actually have ptosis, but taping up the opposite lid during the exam may be necessary to unmask it. Best to see a plastic surgeon who has oculoplastic training or an oculoplastic eye doctor. Good luck.

Dean Fardo, MD

Not Ptosis.

It appears that you have some component of eyelid retraction.  Your issue to complicated to discuss via a blog.  I would recommend you see a couple of board certified plastic surgeons and board certified oculoplastic surgeons.  There are couple of excellent plastic surgeons in the Marietta and Paces Ferry area you should see. There are a couple of excellent oculoplastic surgeons in the Northside Hospital area.  This where you should start.

Dr. ES

Asymmetric upper lids and ptosis

The photo you provided does show asymmetric upper lid creases, but there does not seem to be significant drooping of the lid (ptosis). However, often a high upper lid crease is a sign of a weakness of the upper lid ligaments (levator aponeurosis) and this may not have been captured by your photograph.  I suggest you see an ophthalmologist for a complete evaluation.

Theda C. Kontis, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Maybe medial lid mild ptosis. See plastic eye specialists. There are possible medication drops that could help this. Or you may need a very minor levator repair. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl J. Blinski 3054 598 0091

Nonsurgical ptosis repair

There are nonsurgical options to address ptosis but they are temporary.  They include Botox and Fillers, placed in strategic locations to allow eyelid elevation or lowering.

Dr Taban

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Asymmetric Eyelid Repair

It is somewhat difficult to tell from the picture. However, it appears that the eyelid crosses the iris at the same place on each side. This would mean that you do not have ptosis. There is a difference on the fullness of the eyelids, however. The right is much fuller than the left. The left looks almost sunken. If this is the case, then injection with a filler or fat on the left should solve the problem. See a Plastic Surgeon who specializes in facial rejuvenation, including the eyes and injection.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon