Post-ptosis Repair and Blepharoplasty - Feels Like There is Something in my Eye

My right eye is the one I had the ptosis repair and now I feel like there is something stuck in my eye and it is not healing as well as the other eye(which had just the upper bleph.) it feels like an eyelash or piece of sand is stuck, but there is nothing in my eye. They told me I have calcium deposits under my upper lids, which I have always had, but now I am feeling them? Has anyone else felt this. They suggested wearing a contact lens to shield my eye...only I am not a cont lens wearer! Help.

I've got something in my eye... I think.

+1

after a ptosis repair it is routine to evert the lid to make sure sutures did not enter the backside of the lid and irritate the eye. you may have a corneal abrasion/ulcer/erosion secondary to dryness. use your lubricant and drops liberally and consider an "eye tent" with saran wrap at night to keep moisture on your lid (you may not be closing completely at night, while you sleep). most importantly, call your doc in the morning for a slit lamp exam and treatment.

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Foreign Body Irritation?

+1

May want to have the inside of the upper lid thoroughly examined.  There should not be any foreign bodies (stitches) or granulomas (abnormal healing tissue) irritating the eye because most ptosis repair occurs beneath the skin of the upper eyelid.  You did not mention the time frame since your surgery but if it is very recent then the cornea may have an abrasion which is rare since the cornea is usually protected during surgery.  Revisit your surgeon or a board certified Ophthalmologist.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Something stuck in eye after blepharoplasty

+1

Lynni, if you haven't already, report this sensation to your surgeon, and he or she will probably anesthetize the affected eye with drops and examine carefully.  Assuming there is no stitch visible that has pierced the palpebral conjunctiva (inside of upper eyelid where ptosis repair was), the tarsal stitch may be very close causing a small irregularity or bump that can create this feeling.  Dry eye may also contribute. 

Steve Laverson, MD

Ptosis surgery

+1

There are various reasons for the sensation you are describing.  There could be a foreign body (a stitch or other) embedded in the upper eyelid (the doctor needs to flip the eyelid and look under the eyelid).  But the most likely cause is dry eyes, which can give you that sensation. Whenever an eyelid is elevated, it is exposed to air more and therefore it gets more dry, until the eye/body can adjust.

A thorough examination can determine what's causing your sensation.

Dr T.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon