Eyedrops for ptosis?

I have mild ptosis and my optometrist doesn't recommend me surgery b/c he says the chances of making it worse is higher than the chances of fixing it. So I was wondering if I can use Alphagan drops for my ptosis? And if not,why not?

Eyelid LIft/Ptosis Surgery

+1

So, the long-term use of Alphagan is not a good idea.  It's occasionally used temporarily to lift an eyelid when someone has had eyelid drooping after Botox injection.  The best solution will be surgical correction by an experienced surgeon.  Check the ASOPRS website for an oculoplastic specialist.

Philadelphia Oculoplastic Surgeon

Do I need eyelid surgery for mild ptosis?

+1

As mentioned by the others, long term topical medications are not a good solution blepharoptosis.  They may work and be used temporarily or on occasion, but not long term.  I recommend you seek the opinion of a surgeon.

Neal Goldberg, MD
Westchester Plastic Surgeon

With all due respect, optometrists really know nothing about the surgical management of ptosis.

+1
Ptosis is a surgical condition. It is routine to do even small amount of ptosis. Drops are not a practical method of addressing ptosis. If you feel that you need to do something about your ptosis, your best bet is to see an oculoplastic surgeon. The American Society for Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery has a website (ASOPRS.org) that offers a geographic directory that will help you to identify a well qualified oculoplastic surgeon near your home.

Eyedrops for ptosis?

+1

The only way to correct ptosis is surgery. Long term medication use can have consequences. The corrective surgery is definitive and works well when is done by experience surgeon.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Mild ptosis

+1

Alphagan can work for mild ptosis temporary, but if you use it frequently, it won't work anymore. Plus, it can have other intraocular side effects if used long term.

You can safely perform aesthetic ptosis surgery (via a posterior eyelid approach) for mild ptosis.  It is effective, safe, and predictable.  Consult an oculoplastic surgeon.

Dr Taban

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Options for Ptosis

+1

Jojo,

I think you should seek an opinion from an oculoplastic surgeon, who specializes in eyelid surgery.  Alphagan may lift your lid slightly, but it is a medication usually prescribed for patients with glaucoma.

Michael McCracken, MD
Lone Tree Oculoplastic Surgeon