What is the Best Procedures if I Want 2 Get my Ear Repeirced After Keloid Removal?

-Had keloid removed. -Got steroid injections. -Really want it peirced again. -Have scar from surgery on back of earlobe. -Never heard of clip ons for guys. -HELP!!

Can you re-pierce the earlobe after keloid removal?

+2

The short answer is that yes, you can re-pierce the ear but the likelihood of recurrent keloid is quite high.  If you decide to take the risk, let your plastic surgeon that removed the keloid know so it can be treated quickly should the keloid start to come back.

Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Risk of recurrent keloid with ear lobule piercing.

+2

You certainly will have to accept the risk of a recurrent keloid. In many instances, it is my opinion, htat tis is related to a metal allergy so you may want to consider a pure metal such as gold.

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/facial-surgery-chicago/otoplasty/

Think twice about re-piercing after earlobe keloids

+1

I don't recommend repiercing to my keloid patients.  Generally, this would cause the keloid to regrow and secondary surgery to remove it would engender even more keloiding.  Compression earrings can work to reduce keloid formation post-operatively, as would steroid injections.  There are a variety of great looking clip-on earrings available.  I know how much my patients love their pierced earrings, but sometimes it's better to be cautious than sorry. 

Keloid will likely recur

+1

I would suggest you resist the temptation to re-pierce your earlobe. The keloid recurrence rate will be quite high.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

Orange Plastic Surgeon

Repiercing after Keloid scar

+1

I would also recommend not re-piercing unless you are willing to accept a very high risk of a recurrent keloid scar.  The causes for keloid scars are likely genetic, so that it is not possible to take away the risk of recurrence.

Everett Plastic Surgeon

Keloid and ear-piercing

+1

I would not recommend re-piercing your ears if you are prone to keloids. It may happen again from the piercing.

If you have had keloids of your lobes, don't get them repierced!

+1

Keloids of the earlobe are the product of the genetically directed healing mechanism in that part of the body - the earlobe.  Repiercing is likely to result in another keloid and I would strongly advise you against it.

Web reference: http://www.zubowicz.com/

If you have had keloids once, you are probably going to get them again.

+1

The short answer is, repiercing is likely to cause keloids no matter what procedure is done. You body has demonstrated that it responds to the minor injury of piercing by forming the scar tumors know as keloids. If you have had these removed and healed well, consider yourself lucky and don't pierce again.

Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.