Anything I Can Do for Area Where Upper Lip Meets the Nose?

I really do not know how to describe this without an image but the thing that I dislike about myself is the area called the philtrum (sp?). It's not that it's too long, it's just that from a profile position, it curves and joins the skin of my nose, and I have noticed that most people have more of a 90 degree angle position between the nose and philtrum. Does anyone else understand what I mean? Is there any surgery that can rectify this? Thanks

Nasolabial angle

+2

I think you are referring to the nasolabial angle. This can be adjusted with a rhinoplasty but I would have to examined you to make recommendations.

Widening the Angle Between the Nose and The Lip

+1

A side photograph would have been extremely helpful here. If you are referring to a narrow angle between the nostril side of the nose and the lip, the Nasolabial angle, the solutions would depend on what exactly is going on. A droopy nose tip can be refined and lifted with nose surgery (Rhinoplasty) and a prominent bone spur under the nose, the Anterior Nasal Spine, can be trimmed back thereby opening up the angle.

Unfavorable nasolabial angle

+1

You are describing the intersection between the lip and nose at the columella (I believe).  This can be treated effectively with a rhinoplasty or maybe a lesser procedure, possibly trimming a small bone in the area - the anterior nasal spine.

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Modified rhinoplasty relaxes upper lip.

+1

Hi.

I know exactly what you are talking about.  You have a prominent nasal spine, which makes it look like your upper lip is hanging from your nose.  This is easily corrected with a modified rhinoplasty.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)