Should I Lose Weight Before a Facelift?

I have lost 40 pounds and have 20 more to go (55 yo female). When I first lost 20 pounds everyone kept telling me how young I looked. I would get looks. Then I lost 40 pds and no one even looks at me. I am afraid to lose the last 20. I had a round face with chubby cheeks and still have a round face. But some of the volume is gone it is making me look older. Will a facelift give me a youthful look again? Should I lose 20 more pds? I feel like gaining 20 pds to look younger. Ha!

Rather than regaining weight, you could consider re-volumization

+2

Part of the aging process is not only loose skin in the neck and jawline, but volume loss. As you lose weight, you will see changes in your face that equate to aging. Rather than regaining weight, you could consider re-volumization. There are many options including fillers, fat transfer and even cheek implants. I would recommend you talk to specialist in Facial Plastic Surgery to discuss your specific case.

Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Losing weight then maintaing it after a facelift - OK if realistic

+2

Stable weight best for most cosmetic surgery including facelifts
In general  it is best to be at your stable long term weight to reduce the probability for revision surgery. It makes little or no sense to loose or gain weight for a surgical procedure including Facelift unless you can maintain that weight for many years or it is a relatively small amount (plus or minus 5 pounds). This is because if you lose fat that is supportting your facial skin it will tend to sag especially if you don't have good skin elasticisity (most facelift patients)

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Weight Loss Before a Facelift

+2

It would be prudent to be within 10-15% of your ideal bodyweight before any type of facial or body rejuvenation surgery as this will allow you to maximize your result.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Lose weight before facelift

+2

Many patients ask me if they should lose weight before a facelift. If it's a matter of losing twenty pounds, it simply will not make any difference. Having the facelift performed in and of itself will make you look like you've lost weight. Losing an additional twenty pounds after the facelift should not cause it to sag. I say go for it now and enjoy the new you.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Weight loss

+2

It is in any case desireble to loss all possible weight before any plastic surgery procedure but not everybody can do that.  When the patient get spable in the weight  loss  the surgery can be executed and the patient will be satified.  Also the disposition of the fat in the body is diferent in everybody and some patient even when they are not  obese the have deformities like doble chin than make them look hevier than what the BMI is  so this surgery will carrect that problem. 

Alejandro J. Quiroz, MD, FACS
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss before facelift

+2

Without any pictures, it is impossible to tell how youthful your facial features are from losing 40 pounds of weight. What matters is that you are at a stable healthy weight. If your face becomes gaunt, too thin, and narrow, cheek augmentation or silastic cheek implants can be considered. This is done if you still want to keep your full cheeks after your weight loss.

Facelift and Weight Loss

+2

Thanks for asking a great question.  The simple answer is that you can proceed with a Facelift right now if you like, as long as you understand several things.  1) A Facelift on a patient at ideal body weight is technically easier, and the healing process is faster, 2) The results tend to be more dramatic when a  patient is at ideal body weight, 3) In a patient above ideal body weight, a Facelift can make you appear as if you have lost weight, especially if the neck is contoured with proficiency, 4) A patient always heals better when the body's caloric needs are met; the perioperative period is not a great time to fast.  You are lucky to have the motivation and self discipline to lose the weight.  In my practice, I sometimes encounter patients who would like to lose weight but cannot, yet still fit within the category whereby Facelift is a reasonable consideration. I encourage you to have a frank discussion with your Internist and Surgeon, review your goals, and make an informed choice.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facial Rejuvenation with Cosmetic Surgery after Weight Loss

+2

Congratulations on the weight loss! First, do not make any major changes to your face as your weight continues to improve. Once your weight has stabilized, then you can face lift surgery, if it's appropriate.

The face naturally changes in appearance as a direct result of changes in weight. The face may loose signs of youth by loosing volume during weight loss. Treatment may include cosmetic surgery, such as a face lift. However, facial enhancement may be with fat transfer or Sculptra injections into the face to restore balance.

Speak with a plastic surgeon now to perform a comprehensive evaluation and to discuss your options in-person. Cosmetic treatment may possibly be initiated now and continued during your weight loss, with cosmetic surgery once weight more stable.

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Weight Loss before Facelift

+2

If your primary care physician feels that you should  lose an additional  20 pounds to benefit your health, do this before your facelift. As you have seen, weight loss will change facial contour. Then do the facial rejuvenation procedure that meets your needs.

Weight loss before facelift

+2

It is ok to proceed with a facelift. To optimize the results of your facelift, it would not be necessary to lose more weight. Thank you for the question, and best of luck to you.

Paul S. Nassif, MD