Can I Have Excess Skin Removed from my Scalp?

I have furrows running from front to back on top of my scalp. These appeared when I went through a growth spurt at 14. I thought it was extra fat, but did some research and found out it's actually extra skin and the condition is called cutis verticis gyrata. I would like to have a surgical resection to remove the folds and create a smooth appearance. Are there surgeons who specialize in scalp surgery? I'm also concerned about scarring and how to minimize it. Thank you!

Scalp reduction

+1

Certainly if there is excess skin of the scalp it can be excised to accomodate for the laxity. You would need an exam.

Scalp reduction

+1

The surgery is relatively straightforward although where to put the scar and how to hide it is important. Often a straight scar on the scalp is more noticeable since there is often some loss of hair follicles and the baldness can be noticable, like those patients who have brain surgery. I will usually use a zig-zag type of reduction so this is less obvious.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

The best treatment for excess scalp skin is Scalp Reduction.

+1

I have done this surgery for 25 years and if you have a full head of hair, scarring should not be a problem. If you are bald, then the scar will show. The surgery is done with local anesthesia and our patients go to work the next day.