Massage After Tummy Tuck and Lipo?

Everyone talks about massaging the scar...but no one says how to do it or our hard etc. Can you massage the stomach if it is still sore to the touch after 5 months? Is lymphatic massage good for it? What kind of massage do you recommend? Thank you for answering.

Massaging after liposuction and tummy tuck

+3

I recommend to my patients to seek out professional massages with massage therapists trained in either "Swedish" or "post lymphatic" massage which I find helpful. I start this 2 weeks after surgery and ideally recommend it 3 times a week if possible. I find therapists will massage much harder than patients typically do on themselves. I don't think there's really any "rocket science" to it and I also show patients basically what to do any many that either can't find someone or choose not to do this on their own without a problem. I hope this helps!

Scar massage after tummy tuck

+2

You can massage your scar with your fingers and improve the appearance for up to one year after your surgery. I would also recommend using silicone gel or sheets applied directly to the scar for the first two to three months after surgery. Lymphatic massage may expedite the healing process but will not necessarily improve the cosmetic appearance of the scar. You should also avoid direct sunlight exposure to the scar in the first year.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Massage After Tummy Tuck and Liposuction Surgeries

+2

There is no question that lymphatic drainage is a wonderful thing to do after tummy tucks. In my practice, we give our patients one complimentary at their one week follow up visit. This and or a massage will help break up that hardness. Your plastic surgeon may have someone on staff, like I do, or can recommend a therapist who is trained in working with post-op patients. 

Jeffrey Hartog, MD

Massage after tummy tuck and lipo?

+1
Hello! Thank you for the question! It is common for scars to fully mature for up to a year. In the meantime, there are a few things that may help to ameliorate your incision/scar. The most proven (as well as cheapest) modality is simple scar massage. Deep/firm pressure to entire affected areas several times a day - the more the better.  Applying pressure and massaging the well-healed scar has been shown to improve the appearance as it breaks up the scar tissue, hopefully producing the finest scar as possible. Other things that have been shown to add some benefit, albeit controversial, are silicone sheets, hydration, and topical steroids. These can usually be started at approximately 3-4 weeks postop and when incisions healed. In addition, avoidance of direct sunlight to the incision will significantly help the appearance as they tend to discolor with UV light during the healing process. Scars will never disappear, but attempt is made to make the finest scar in a concealed location. Incisions may be revised to lower or conceal better if enough laxity exists.

If unsightly scars are still present after approximately a year's time, other things that your surgeon may consider are intralesional steroid injections, laser, or just surgical revision of the scar itself.

Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Massage a good idea...

+1

Lymphatic drainage is always a good idea, although it is not always necessary.  Most commonly, patients simply massage their own abdomens preferably after showers with moisturizers or have several professional deep tissues massages.  The only limitation on when to begin is the amount of discomfort you can tolerate.  Other than massaging there are several things that your surgeon can recommend to improve the appearance of your scars...good luck! 

Eric Sadeh, MD

Scar Massages After Surgery

+1

You can improve scarring up to a year after surgery with scar massages.  You can use Kelo-cote, Mederma, Shampoo, Cocoa Butter, etc.  Its not the product you use, but the time you spend doing the massage.  I would recommend massaging the scar for 10-15 minutes every day for one year.  You can massage as hard as you want, but not so hard that it hurts.  Also, remember to avoid sunburns to the scar for the first year as this can pigment your scar red.

Good luck!

Patrick C. Wilson, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Massage after a Tummy Tuck

+1

Lymphatic massage after tummy tuck is a great way to help get rid of the swelling.  Many of the better spas in town will have trained experts who can do this for you.  After 5 months, you can massage as firmly as you want as you are fully healed and will not harm anything.  Good luck.

Sacha Obaid, MD

Scar Massage at 5 Months Following Tummy Tuck and Liposuction

+1

Scar massage can be effective for the first year after surgery or longer.  The type of massage and what is needed is largely dependent upon your anatomy and point of recovery.  Your plastic surgeon will have better insight into your specific case. Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Massage After Tummy Tuck and Lip

+1

No limitation unless it hurts!

If you type in scar massage on youtube there are a number of demonstrations that seem reasonable. Specific questions would be better referred to your surgeon. All the best.