Is It Possible to Have a Tummy Tuck at 240 Pounds?

2003 I had gastric bypass at 422 lbs. I'm down to 240. Have plateaued for last 4 years after breaking femur & knee. 5 ops to fix it. Knee replaced. Will be mobility challenged for life. Lost weight everywhere...except my stomach. Flaps of skin on my arms, sides of my breasts, shar pei face, melted thighs. Butt is tiny and boney. But a small child hugs my waist. Like to cut apron strings. Is a lateral high tension tummy tuck possible? Is there any other option to save my knee and back.

Tummy tuck after massive weight loss

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss!  An in person exam to answer this question is critical but it may be possible to do a tummy tuck or at least a panniculectomy on you depending on your anatomy.

Patients who are overweight may still benefit from a tummy tuck.

+1

Sounds like a remarkable result from your bypass.  Yes, it is  possible to perform a tummy tuck at your weight provided you have no medical contraindications.  I'm sure you have a massive apron that is a nuisance.  Might help alleviate your back pain, not sure about your knee.  Be sure to see an experienced plastic surgeon who does a high volume of body contouring surgery.  You need to be checked to make sure your hemoglobin level is adequate.  No doubt you could benefit from other operations for your thighs, breasts, and face, but I imagine the tummy is your priority.  I've attached a link to this part of my website.  It features a 260-lb male who underwent this surgery.  There is a 225-lb female in the abdominoplasty section of my website.  Have a look.  Good luck.

Eric Swanson, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Massive weight loss excess

+1

As Dr. Pollack suggested you should see a board certified plastic surgeon, by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. I would also add that you have a situation that should be handled by a plastic surgeon who has expertise in treating massive weight loss patients. Tummy tucks on the average are inadequate for eliminating the issues that are bothersome to you such as excess on your waist, front thighs, pubic area, lower back and buttocks. 

Al Aly, MD

Tummy Tuck After Losing 200 lbs but Still Weigh 240 lbs

+1

If your overall health is good aside from your weight, than a tummy tuck will aid your mobility and appearance greatly even though you are not at an ideal weight.  I have many patients like you that once that flap of skin is removed, their mobility is better, exercise is easier and they can then go onto lose more weight.  You must be aware however that if you lose 50 or more pounds in the future, you may need further tightening from a second tummy tuck.  Good luck.

Sacha Obaid, MD

240# tummy tuck.

+1

The only meaningful medical advice requires a real consultation....and examination.   While an abdominoplasty might be a possiblity,  often the removal of the xs skin apron (paniculectomy) is the simplist and safest approach.  Abdominoplasty could be done after final weight loss. You should see a surgeon certified by the Am Bd of Plastic Surgery for a real consult.

Harlan Pollock, MD

You are not in conditions to realize any kind os surgery/ no estas en condiciones de realizar cualquier cirugia

+1

you should go with an endocrinologist in order to look out which kind of anomaly perhaps you could have ( diabetes? Hypotyroid etc), after that go with a nutrilogist to take an spetial diet and after GYM work as soon as you get the wright weight according to your  height and age you will be programmed for any kind of surgery even  if it take us more than 6 months to get it.

primereo deberias acudir a un endocrinologo, luego al nutriologo y de ultimo al GYM tan pronto y obtengas el peso adecuado de acuerdo a tu estatura y edad te podriamos realizar cualquier tipo de operacion

Ramon Navarro, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck at 240 lbs

+1

Your height would be helpful to assess BMI and relative risk, and age would be helpful as well.  In addition, you will probably need Lovenox given mobility issues, weight, nature of procedure, and length of procedure to prevent blood clots in your legs.  If you are in otherwise good health, this would be a reasonable procedure.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tucks each year.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

+1

It is possible. We like to see patients with a BMI of 30 or less. 

But that cannot be achieved in all patients, and the 30 number is a guideline, and not an automatic exclusion. 

The reason for the guideline include factors of safety and outcome. There are higher risk levels in heavier patient, and not as good an outcome. Often the procedure may be limited to excising the overhanging tissue, and not really doing a full tummy tuck. 

Best bet is a consultation.When you are ready for an in person consultation, RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S. Thank you for your question, best wishes.