My Tummy Tuck Incision is Not Healing Properly? (photo)

I had a tummy tuck 4 weeks ago and about a week ago I developed redness and a little drainage from incision sight. My ps removed 1 stitch. Now I am waiting for it to heal or he says he will have to remove another one. Today, I woke up and there is a lot of whitish, yellowish tissue inside. There is a little pain. I use a tiny bit of hydrogen peroxide mixed with water to clean it, then use neosporin and a bandaid a about 2-3x daily. Should I be letting it air out at all? Please Help! so scared!

My Tummy Tuck Incision is Not Healing Properly?

+2

This area looks like it is healing normally since removal of the offending suture. Keeping it clean as you are doing is appropriate. The appearance is not at all alarming. Follow up regularly with your surgeon. All the best. 

Tummy tuck healing

+1

I would have you come to the office and I clean your wound with instruments.  Then I'd have you leave your wound open to the air to dry out.  You will be fine!

Best wishes!!

Stefan Mark Szczerba, MD

+1

Very minor wound healing issue! Best to follow ONLY your surgeon's advise since he/she is the responsibility heath care provider. Local wound care and maybe PO antibiotics are all that is needed. But again check with your surgeon. 

Tummy wound healing can be a slow process

+1

Your tummy tuck incision appears to be healing okay - the swelling of the upper abdominal flap has created the ridge that you observe. As the swelling diminishes, you should have an acceptable scar.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

Small Non Healing Area After Tummy Tuck

+1

Small areas of the tummy tuck incision that take their time to heal and dissolvable sutures that work their way out and need to be removed are common after a tummy tuck. It sounds like your surgeon is doing all the right things as are you.  It will take a while, but you should heal fine.  Good luck.

Sacha Obaid, MD

Tummy tuck and problem with healing of incision

+1

Your fresh scar does not look too bad , for only 5 weeks after your tummy tuck. It appears that you have a minor healing problem due to suture reaction/rejection, which will get better as time goes by. Keep the wound clean and prevent infection , it will heal in a few weeks. I do not like to put band aids on the wound, putting sterile gauze and change it as necessary is a better option.

Fereydoon S. Mahjouri, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Wound healing after abdominoplasty

+1

It looks like you have stitch granuloma, or a foreign body reaction to the stitch. Since your PS has removed it, this incision will heal in slowly with local wound care similar to what you are doing right now. I think you will heal in fine in a week or two. Best of luck!

Mytien Goldberg, MD

Wound healing issues after Tummy Tuck

+1

Hello 'kflo2013', thanks for your question.  Although I am sure this is concerning to you, it is not unusual to have some wound healing issues after a tummy tuck procedure.  Risk factors for wound problems include history of smoking, diabetes, and underlying cardiopulmonary diseases.  Surgical factors that increase risk of wound issues include concomitant liposuction of the abdominal flap, prior scars on the abdomen that can limit blood supply to the flap, and wound infections from things such as a spit suture, seroma fluid collections, or poor hygeine.  I am not sure how many of the above risk factors you have, but either way, based on your photos, you are doing fine.  Continue the local wound care as instructed by your plastic surgeon with frequent follow-ups, and things should heal up without significant problems.  Hope that helps! -Dr.92660

Parviz Goshtasby, MD, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

No Necrosis Present After Tummy Tuck

+1

You do not have necrosis and the small area of opening will heal uneventfully.  Continue the local wound care as instructed by your plastic surgeon.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Suture spitting aftre tummy tuck

+1

Thin stretch marked skin is more prone to spitting dissolvable sutures like you are doing.  Your doctor is taking great care of you, stick with their plan.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS