Can Taking Oral Hyaluronic Acid Prolong my Juvederm Treatment?

I love my lips after my juvederm treatment but I seem to metabolize it quickly. Theoretically, could taking an oral HA supplement improve the longevity of my treatment?

Prolong Juvederm Treatment

+1
I have never heard this-  and doubt it will have any effect.  There are “thicker” products than Juvederm-  like Perlane-  and make sure that your Juvederm is the one that lasts longer.

Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

While there are no studies to prove this, I dont see how taking oral hyaluronic acid can make your juvederm last longer.  I would bet that most of what you are taking gets broken down by the time it reaches your stomach anyway.  Your body makes hyaluronic acid naturally every 80 hours as it is naturally broken down. The products we use to fill have extra cross-linking in the bonds to slow this process down.

Dr. Malouf

Peter Malouf, DO
Dallas Dermatologist

+1

There is not an oral preparation that has been studied in this regard.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Oral hyaluronic acid and Juvederm

+1

To my knowledge, there is no scientific evidence to suggest that oral hyaluronic acid prolongs the duration of Juvederm. First of all, the hyaluronic acid would be broken down in the digestion process. And even if it made it past the digestive process, there is no way that it would selectively target a small area of the face.

Ryan Greene, MD, PhD
Fort Lauderdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Oral ha

+1

I do not know of any stidies to show it will effect the longevity of Juvaderm.If you like bigger lips consider a permanent implant or fat injections.That would be the way to go. 

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Oral Hyaluronic Acid and Lip Fillers

+1

There is no scientific evidence to suggest that oral hyaluronic acid acts at the level of the skin surface.

Gus Galante, MD
Schererville Plastic Surgeon

Can oral hyaluronic acid prolong my Juvederm treatment

+1

Oral hyaluronic acid isn't very effective because it needs to have certain stabilizers with it to work properly, so most of them don't do a darned thing to help. With that being said, there aren't studies to show if taking oral hyaluronic acid would make a filler of HA last any longer.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Hyaluronic acid supplements

+1

Unfortunately, the digestion process would break down the hyaluronic acid into small pieces, preventing it from reaching your skin. This is because hyaluronic acid is a modified sugar molecule, and like any other sugar, your body will try to break it down and use it for energy.

Ramona Behshad, MD
Chesterfield Dermatologic Surgeon

There is no evidence that oral HA supplement will increase the longevity of fillers

+1

That's a great idea, but there is no evidence to support it. It would be very complex for HA ingested and absorbed in some manner to then make it through the blood stream to the lips in a manner in which it could then support the HA filler that is injected in the lips. Though HA is an important component of the soft tissues of the body , the naturally occurring version lasts just a few days. The injected HA fillers last so much longer because they are crosslinked . It is this crosslinking that stabilizes the HA and makes it more resistant to the normal metabolism. However it is still easily dissolved with injected hyaluronidase enzyme.

Richard Fitzpatrick, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon