Dr. from Skinbiology Says Hyaluronic Acid Fillers Cause Cancer?

So right after I set up my appointment for lip injections & nasolabial injections w/ the juvederm filler (and paid $100 scheduling fee), I come upon this website with advice from a Dr. which totally opposes the use of HA and HA fillers like juvederm and claims HA causes cancer? Any truth to this..Suddenly I am freaked out about my appointment Tuesday. Please, doctors, tell me if this is true?

+1

This is a good example of finding anything on the internet and it falls upon the consumer to decide who is credible and who is not.  HA fillers are very safe and no link has been shown between their use and cancer that I am aware of.

Hyaluronic Acid Based Dermal Fillers Provide Safe And Effective Facial Rejuvenation

+1

Unfortunately, many things we read on the web today are untrue.  When reading about medical topics many sites claim to be credible sources of information.  Regularly, patient come in my office misinformed after performing hours of web research on plastic surgery.  Also, many physicians claim to be "cosmetic specialists", but lack formal training or expertise in the field.  Hyaluronic Acid based fillers have FDA indication for use.  They are safe and effective for providing minimally invasive facial rejuvenation.  Hyaluronic acid is a substance found in the body, in such places as our joints.  There is NO information which shows that this substance in any way causes cancer.  I suggest you followup with a board certified Facial Plastic or General Plastic Surgeon for a proper consultation and treatment.  Good Luck!

Anthony Corrado, DO
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Does hyaluronic acid cause cancer?

+1

There are many things online that aren't true. The website you came across is one. Hyaluronic acid is something that is natural in your body and present in every human being. How someone could claim that HA is cancerous is beyond me. It is simply untrue, and it's present in the person's body who wrote the article. 

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

HAs are safe, effective and provide long term correction when done by experts

+1

Thank you for your question.  As you are aware there are many people that have opinions that are not based in science or fact.  This website that you reference is not correct.  Dont believe most of what you read on the web without further investigation.

With regards to your treatment plans, keep the appointment.  Your PS should eveluate you and make recommendations.  While you may think you NL folds need injection, the same volume placed in the cheeks may give you a better aesthetic outcome and will still correct the NL fold.  Consider Perlane or Voluma for these areas.  Cheek volumization last about a year.

If you are having your lips volumized and want an amazing result, ask about Volbella.  Great immediate and long term lip augmentation is possible with this product.  Another great lip product (one that provides even more volume) is Juviderm Ultra Plus.  Remember, the lower lip should be 1.4 x the height and volume of the upper lip.  In addition, the vermillion border should be slightly prominant.  Good injectors will discuss this with you.

If you do not like the before / after images at your injectors office or do not like what they are saying, go somewhere else and forfeit the $100.  It always amazes me how many patients I see, do do corrective HAs and neuromodulators, that went to an inexperienced injector / GP because they thought they would be less expensive.  It is my opinion that most physicians know the value of their service, experience and education.  If they price themselves cheaper - it is beacuse they know thier value.  It is your face, the products last up to a year (longer in some locations) -go where your results will be best.  The reality is that many great offices are fairly priced and the results are worth any marginal increased expense.

Stop taking asa, NSAIDS and blood thinners and keep your appointment.  All the best, Dr. Scott Barr, MD, FRCSC, skinmedispa.ca 

Scott Barr, MD
Sudbury Plastic Surgeon

+1

There are no data to support this claim that HA fillers cause cancer.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Many more things cause cancer than HA fillers

+1

I'm sure in your daily life you come across, use, or eat many more cancer causing agents than Hyaluronic acid fillers. I'm not worried about Juvederm causing cancer at all. 

Shervin Naderi, MD, FACS
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hyaluronic Acid fillets do NOT cause cancer

+1

Just because someone has a website and a title does not necessarily make them an authority and their opinions true. 

These fillers have been used in millions of people for well over 15 years. If there was even a small risk of cancer we would have known about it and stopped using them. 

Hyaluronic acid fillers used from a reliable supplier and injected by an experienced Plastic surgeon is a safe procedure. 

Peter Aldea

Memphis, TN

Do hyaluronic acid fillers cause cancer?

+1

Hyaluronic acid fillers, such as Juvederm, do not cause cancer.  These fillers have been safely used for many years in millions of people.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hyaluronic Acid Fillers Do Not Cause Cancer

+1

Hi Apelonia,

" Dr. from Skinbiology Says HA Fillers Cause Cancer."  FALSE!!!!  You may go ahead with your injections and not worry.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD