Open Rhinoplasty: Is It Okay to Leave my Cast on for 3 Weeks After Rhinoplasty?

I went into my doctor's office after 5 days of my open rhinoplasty to have my stitches and stints removed, but a family problem has emerged and I will not be able to see my doctor for 3 more weeks. Is this too long for the cast to be on even if I take care of it? Should I remove it myself? Thanks.

Removing Nasal Cast At 3 Weeks Post-op

+2

Removal your nasal cast on your own is not a good idea whatsoever.

That being said, I recommend that you contact your surgeon with whom you should disclose your inability to be at his/her office anytime soon; it is up to your surgeon to decide when it is the critical time to have your cast removed.

The best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Leaving Cast in Place for 3 Weeks after Rhinoplasty

+1

Leaving the cast in place for 3 weeks after your rhinoplasty will not cause any problems or have any influence on the amount of swelling. I would not recommend removal but consult with the surgeon who did your operation.

It Isn't Okay to Leave Your Rhinoplasty Cast On For More Than 3 Weeks

+1

Your cast should probably not stay on for another 3 weeks (although after 2 weeks it may just fall off on it's own). Contact your surgeon and they can likely help you find a colleague wherever you are to take it off for you. Good luck.

Michael R. Menachof, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

The Cast

+1

Better not mess with the cast or splints.  Call your surgeon and make appropriate follow-ups with trusted colleagues. 

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon