Hit My Nose With a Metal Bar. Hump On Nasal Dorsum? (photo)

Hi, i hit my nose in the gym with a metal bar, it was almost perfectly, but now it has a hump on the nasal dorsum, i went to a E.N.T doctor, he told me that my nose wasn't broken, but that hump appered as a result of the hit, he told me that if i wanted to improve the hump, i could massage that area everyday as much times i could do it during 5 minutes , and maybe the hump would disappear in a few months. But i haven't seen good results, what do you think do i need a sugery?, closed or open?.

Hump on Nasal Dorsum after Trauma

If the hump is caused by temporary swelling, massage will help to accelerate resolution of  the hump. You do not mention when you hit the nose but I would expect improvement within several weeks. Otherwise surgery will be necessary. I would use the closed technique - an open procedure is not necessary.

Bump On Nose After Surgery

If it is still early after the injury, you may have some soft tissue swelling that can cause an irregular appearance of the nose, however, that would improve over the course of a month. If the appearance of your nose has not improved over this time or if you feel a firm lump/bump/hump, it is certainly possible that you may have fractured your nose, causing either a bony or cartilaginous irregularity. In that case, a rhinoplasty can be performed. I can perform this rhinoplasty endonasally, a technique that avoids any external skin scars. This would be the optimal approach for what you are describing. Massage would not eliminate a bony or cartilaginous deformity.

Harry Mittelman, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon