Hit My Nose With a Metal Bar. Hump On Nasal Dorsum? (photo)

Hi, i hit my nose in the gym with a metal bar, it was almost perfectly, but now it has a hump on the nasal dorsum, i went to a E.N.T doctor, he told me that my nose wasn't broken, but that hump appered as a result of the hit, he told me that if i wanted to improve the hump, i could massage that area everyday as much times i could do it during 5 minutes , and maybe the hump would disappear in a few months. But i haven't seen good results, what do you think do i need a sugery?, closed or open?.

Hump on Nasal Dorsum after Trauma

+2

If the hump is caused by temporary swelling, massage will help to accelerate resolution of  the hump. You do not mention when you hit the nose but I would expect improvement within several weeks. Otherwise surgery will be necessary. I would use the closed technique - an open procedure is not necessary.

Bump On Nose After Surgery

+2

If it is still early after the injury, you may have some soft tissue swelling that can cause an irregular appearance of the nose, however, that would improve over the course of a month. If the appearance of your nose has not improved over this time or if you feel a firm lump/bump/hump, it is certainly possible that you may have fractured your nose, causing either a bony or cartilaginous irregularity. In that case, a rhinoplasty can be performed. I can perform this rhinoplasty endonasally, a technique that avoids any external skin scars. This would be the optimal approach for what you are describing. Massage would not eliminate a bony or cartilaginous deformity.

Harry Mittelman, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon