Severe Nose Bleed After Rhinoplasty?

Severe nose bleed 9 days after my rhinoplasty, 2 days after my cast was removed. I went to the ER and I was hospitalized for 1 day. They put merocel packing and they will keep it for 5 days.I will go back to my surgeon when they remove my packing; his office is out of state. My nose looks really deformed now, the merocel packing enlarged the base and raised my tip, giving me a saddle type nose. Will this be temporary?Is there a chance the rhinoplasty work was severely compromised?

Severe Nasal Bleeding 9 Days After Rhinoplasty

+2

Based on your description, the level of damage cannot be assessed and an in-person evaluation is required at this point.

The ER physician had to do what was necessary to stop the unusual nasal bleeding (unless you were on anticoagulant medication) that took place and preserving your results intact was secondary at that point. 

Therefore, I recommend that you contact your surgeon who knows the full details of your surgery to have your nose examined.

In the case of noticeable damage, I believe you will have to wait till you complete around 6 months of recovery before you can undergo a revision surgery.

Thank you for your inquiry.

The best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Post Rhinoplasty Bleeding

+2

A severe nose bleed nine days post surgery is quite uncommon. Did you take any aspirin or a blood thinner after your procedure? I would contact your surgeon via telephone and discuss your concerns. I have many patients fly in from out of state and I have another surgeon in their area I may refer them to in case of any emergency. I would ask your surgeon for another surgeon in your area for second opinion. Sometimes emergency room doctors do not provide the same type of post operative care as they are concerned with stopping bleeding not your cosmetic results. Hopefully this will all settle and is a temporary setback. Call your surgeon! Best regards!

Michael Elam, MD