How Long does it Take Nasal Mucosa to Heal After Closed Rhinoplasty?

It is normal to have uneven lumpy excessive tissue inside the nostrils almost 4 months after a first time closed rhinoplasty? It's driving me crazy! When will the mucosa inside my nostrils smooth out and feel normal again? Actually one nostril feels pretty ok but the other one is just too uneven and lumpy inside which makes it pretty hard to pick my nose when I have to.

Healing of Nasal Mucosa after Rhinoplasty

+1

The irregularity you describe in your nose 4 months after your closed rhinoplasty may or may not be secondary to the mucosa or nasal lining. It would be best if your surgeon examines you. Hopefully you're not going to do something about this so you can pick your nose.

Lumpy tissue inside nose after rhinoplasty

+1

You may have some redundant mucosa inside your nose or you may just be feeling the incision line inside your nose. After just 4 months it is normal to feel a ridge along the incision line. You can have your surgeon check your nose to make sure it is healing okay, though.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Nasal muscosa excess

+1

If you feel that you have internal mucosa excess several months after srugery, you  may want to be evaluated by yoru surgeon to make sure that things are healing correctly.

+1

IMHO, It's never a good idea to pick your nose or place anything like Q-tips inside and especially for at least 6 months after a Rhinoplasty.  This may cause bleeding that can be severe.  The uneven mucosa may be a result of incomplete mucosal closure along the Closed Rhinoplasty incision lines.  You should ask the plastic and cosmetic surgeon that did your Rhinoplasty.  In any event, this typically flattens out by 6 to 12 months following the Rhinoplasty.

Uneven nasal mucosa

+1

At the end of a typical rhinoplasty procedure, your nasal mucosa is often loose and redundant.  Most surgeons do not take out any extra tissue, but must very precisely realign your nasal lining.  Sometimes if the tissue is overlapped a bit,  further excision of overlapped tissue is necessary.

The other possibility is that this is just simply scar tissue, and could benefit with a steroid injection.

Pramit Malhotra, MD
Ann Arbor Plastic Surgeon

When does swelling inside the nose resolve after rhinoplasty?

+1
If you had reduction rhinoplasty, there may be a relative excess of mucosa or a segment of cartilage projecting into the airway causing the lump(s) inside your nose. See your surgeon to address and resolve this situation.

Steve Laverson, MD